You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-6-2016 12:04:11  #891

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Your typewriter's name is Robert! 

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

01-6-2016 16:10:25  #892

Hi John, that's a gorgeous SM3 you have there. Amazing-looking considering the original state you got it in, soo pretty. Well done! I'm jealous.

01-6-2016 22:50:55  #893

John,
That's quite a transformation!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

02-6-2016 08:30:13  #894

Markmotown- I have an Oliver 3 parts machine. Let me know if you need anything from it.  My parents got it for me as a Christmas gift, but it has 3 teeth missing from an essential gear.

03-6-2016 19:08:54  #895

Kat / Colre
I love it. To look at, it's hard to comprehend it was made over 60 years ago.

03-6-2016 21:21:33  #896

My first purchased (collected) typewriter. I'm recently hooked. Royal Quiet in blue. No bargain since I bought it refurbished with new rubber, etc. But I love it. I bought two others that I'll also share, and I'm having an Olympia SM7 (c. 1963) Cursive refurbished, which I'm excited about since I've wanted a really nice cursive machine.

04-6-2016 18:54:11  #897

It's the old story: filthy, bent up, gummy, incorrectly threaded ribbon... Pull off body, straighten space bar and a few keys, get things moving just a little bit, and....
[pause for dramatic effect]

woohoo! small caps! elite small caps!!!   

No day however crummy can be an altogether bad day when you discover that beat up machine types in an unexpected and quixotic typeface. That alone is reason enough to collect typewriters.

I leave the reader to guess the model.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

04-6-2016 19:02:12  #898

colrehogan wrote:

Your typewriter's name is Robert! 

Robert seems to have had some alignment problems before he became a doorstop. I hope Markmotown can help get Robert back on his feet. 

Interesting how long the "All good men..." sentence has been around. One of the exercise sentences in a popular typing book?

04-6-2016 20:48:17  #899

Repartee wrote:

I leave the reader to guess the model.

Looks like the type guide and alignment scale used on a SG1.

I have a Smith-Corona with that typeface and just hate it. It might be nice to use to fill out forms (possibly the machines original use), or in very small amounts, but I find a full page of that stuff to be vulgar.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-6-2016 00:54:53  #900

Uwe wrote:

Looks like the type guide and alignment scale used on a SG1.

Correct. For you, it is no challenge to guess this.

I have a Smith-Corona with that typeface and just hate it. It might be nice to use to fill out forms (possibly the machines original use), or in very small amounts, but I find a full page of that stuff to be vulgar.

I do not know that I would go so far as "vulgar", but I admit the novelty seems likely to wear thin. It later occurred to me this may be the famous "radio mill" font which I never wanted an example of! I had not realized this was the same font now described as "small caps". But look on the bright side: the segment is still so gummed up that half the keys fall back in slow motion and I have not been able to free them. So maybe it's mechanically unusable. 

Board footera