You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-5-2016 08:25:08  #1

1936 L.C Smith 8 Restoration

Thought I would share some photos of the restoration progress.

What is the best way to remove the rust and paint the keylevers? One at a time? All at once?

The carriage and top deck have been restored.
The frame, will get cleaned, waxed and painted in spots.
This thread exists for any problems that might arise with the restoration.

My blog - Just Typewriters

20-5-2016 16:44:55  #2

Re: 1936 L.C Smith 8 Restoration

Whoa, Pilgrim!!  Looks like you got your work cut out.  Got it all tore down to the frame, I see.  Some people have told me about Coca Cola being used to remove rust, but the best way I can think of is to have a bench grinder equipped with a wire wheel.  That's your best bet.  Be sure to get you some safety glasses  because you don't want one of those wires to end up sticking in your eye.  Did you in any way remove the typebars from their segments?  Did you undo any of the big bolts underneath?  DO NOT TOUCH THEM!!!  The typebars are individually adjusted.  I remember trying to adjust two or three and liked to never got it straight.  Leave that part alone except to clean and oil it.  Leave the type bars in the slots.  You are fortunate that all the levers to the type bars are the spring snap-type.  I'll come by this thread to see how you're getting along.  I've had some expereience repairing these machines, and if there should be anything to crop up, I'll simulate a problem with one of my own L. C. Smith typewriters.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

20-5-2016 17:05:18  #3

I have not touched the type bars.
I have removed the rust with steel wool and a dremel with a wire wheel.
The key levers are out in the sun drying as I have painted them.
What should I do to restore the typebars? Several of them have some rust and the plating is almost gone on all of them.

20-5-2016 17:28:48  #4

Like you did with the levers, only more gently--especially on the type faces.  On a machine this old, you're going to have missing plating, as do a lot of typewriters half this age.  Just clean 'em up real good, and thank goodness you haven't taken the typebars out of their slots--it would be a sheer headache and a half just getting two or three--let alone all 42 of them, aligned together.

04-6-2016 17:30:12  #5

Everything is now working with one exception, the ribbon drive.  There are two gears attached to the mainspring; when the carriage moves to the left, a ratchet pawl engages the lower gear. A friction assembly will rotate the upper gear that drives the ribbon drive. Except on my machine, this does not happen. Instead, the upper gear stays put. If I turn the upper gear by hand the mechanism works for about a quarter turn then another ratchet pawl gets stuck. It makes a pop sound then it is free for another quarter turn. I have the proper ribbon spools installed with a ribbon so it is not getting stuck there.

04-6-2016 17:48:39  #6

Is the ribbon going the proper direction.  Last I checked, the takeup on the left side is clockwise and when it is on the right, counterclockwise.  This is something that hangs me up the most on these machines.  Other than that, make sure your gears are properly meshed and the top is properly aligned.

05-6-2016 08:36:20  #7

I oiled the gears and driveshafts. After that it slowly came to life and now works.

Board footera