You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-6-2016 22:06:15  #1

Which Font, or Typeface, Do You Like the Best/Hate the Worst?

One of the biggest considerations in buying a typewriter, or letting one go, involve a study on its font, or typeface.  I'll admit I have always been a sucker for a strange new font on a machine.  Selectrics, though, have almost endless possibilities--especially the dual-pitch machines.  Composers, don't get me started.  But it's the typebar machines--the ones stuck with the same print, same size (unless you one day decide to turn an elite typewriter into a pica typewriter, and this involves not only changing out the typebars, but also the escapement, tabular, margins, all the scales, and a possible adjustment in the shifting mechanism), that people look at and decide if they want it. 

That being said, I find there are fonts that are easy on the eyes, while others drive everyone up the wall.  Me, I tend to like boldface fonts--larger ones now that my eyes aren't focusing the way they used to.  Small, spidery, smudgy print is a bit hard to read, though.  I like them all--they represent a kind of art to me, but again I like to be able to read something without having to shut my right eye, squint my left eye, and touch whatever I'm reading to my nose while I position myself just right under a lamp.

So--What do you like to read in the way of a particular font?  Which one drives you up the wall?

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

10-6-2016 07:36:00  #2

Re: Which Font, or Typeface, Do You Like the Best/Hate the Worst?

I don't care for cursive, myself. While it might be a nice novelty from time to time, I'd say it's only good for a very short message before it gets annoying to read.

Also, I find myself studying the numerals closely when reviewing a type sample, since it seems as though you get the most variation there, even among typefaces that are otherwise pretty similar (I'm thinking here of the serif, "Courier" style more common on the older machines -- I realize this is a very broad description). In particular, I find myself not caring as much for the style of 5 where the top line has an upward curve, like an upswept forelock of hair. I think of this as being more an American style. Don't ask me why I don't like it; I just don't!

As for font size, I like elite a lot -- funny that of the machines I have, I only have it on standard size typewriters. Could be that it's more common on office machines. But I won't reject a machine because of the font size.

10-6-2016 12:05:27  #3

Thought I'd jump in before Michael reads this... 

Given that we're talking about typewriters, typeface is the correct term when discussing the style of its type. Fonts are a subset of typefaces and specify variables such the weight and size of a typeface. For example, Senatorial and Script are two different Olympia typefaces while Senatorial elite and Senatorial pica are examples of Senatorial fonts.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-6-2016 13:24:53  #4

Personally, I love the cursive typefaces.  If I was using typewriters back in the day, I don't think I'd want cursive for everyday use, but as a collector I love having them.  I'm really longing for a vertical cursive typeface machine.  All the ones I have now are slanted cursive.

I also really love my Adler Primus, which has um... I think it's called Imperial Elite. It is small and bold. My very favorite.

I'm also longing for a Royal Vogue machine. I can't afford one from someone who knows what they have, so I'm hoping to run across one unidentified in an antique mall one of these days.

10-6-2016 15:30:33  #5

Typeface and or character set is definitely the deciding factor for me, though I have really run out of space to store them. So I love anything that isn't the regular "courier type" typeface, though there are subtle variations in that, too, and I am fond of the pica type on my Remington portable 2. And I like the variations in numbers.
My least favourite at the moment in my collection in terms of type is the pica on my lettera 22 though I love the machine itself.

11-6-2016 01:01:07  #6

I like small sharp fonts. I presume "sharp" is usually more a function of the ribbon and the remaining bits of the imprint train but since we are talking about aesthetics I think I can refer to the final result - and this definitely means I am not a big fan of pica: besides putting less information on the page means more carriage returns. I thought I must be imagining that I noticed this, but when I realized 12 CPI vs. 10 CPI means 20% more letters on a line it became quite plausible.

I own one typewriter with a cursive font. I was never gaga about cursive in the first place but I bought this Adler because it was the Holy Grail of eBay cursive purchases - visible in poor resolution in the third or fourth photo though neither the seller nor anybody else seemed to realize what it was! You can't refuse that sort of thing. I cleaned the machine up until it worked smoothly and found that it is satisfying to use and produces a sharp cursive elite script - so there are two of my font criteria right there. I agree I would not like to read an entire page of text, an essay on security or even a friendly letter in this font, where it would merely be an annoyance. Then I realized what it is for - it's for writing love poems! I can never recall writing a love poem in my life but as soon as I got the idea one just kind of flowed out of my fingers into cursive typescript like guided writing. This typewriter is a love poem Ouija board! At least in June.

If I can get just my elite Double Gothic Olympia working smoothly I hope to figure out what that is for also - neither cyber security nor love poems I think, but probably some kind of poetry in any case. A strange and potentially distracting typeface is probably best suited for poetry, where its form may add something to function rather than detract from it. I'm no poet and I know it, but I'll bend that rule to make use of a good typewriter.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

16-6-2016 10:10:47  #7

I had a Canon Typestar-II a year or two ago, but it fell apart. It had the most charming font, but the ink was like $60/ea per cassette.

They call me "Hammerhands".

20-6-2016 12:25:24  #8

In my attempt to get my typewriters posted on the Typewriter Database along with a type sample for each, I've made little cards for each one with the sample type on them.  It was having the cards side by side that I really paid attention to the differences between the machines.  Mostly in the appearance of the numbers.  I even did a cpi measurement on the cards and found the following:  10 cpi - 10 , 12 cpi - 5, and 11 cpi - 1. There are a couple that I don't recall which typeface they are and will have to see about making cards for them later.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

20-6-2016 13:24:29  #9

That is a good idea. I've done something similar for models that I have multiple samples of and placing type samples of each on the same sheet of paper for comparison; as you said, there's nothing like seeing typefaces laid out side-by-side to gain an appreciation of their differences. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-6-2016 20:47:06  #10

I sold an Olympia SM9 to a local family via Craigslist because, after a few years of use, I just couldn't get along with the "techno" type face in elite size.

Later, the Typewriter Muse rewarded me with a wide-carriage SM9 of the same vintage in a pleasing sans-serif type face, then later two Hermes 3000s, one sans serif and the other a very pleasing serif font that's now the "Nekkid-Riter."

Yes, type face is important to me. Kind of like the optical characteristic of a camera lens. And just as importantly is how the mechanics of the machine work to produce a quality, well aligned imprint.

~Joe

Board footera