You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-6-2016 14:13:03  #1

Replacement ribbon olympia

Sorry for an obvious question. I'm out thrifting and caught what I think is an Olympia SM 3 but could be 4. It has no ribbon. Local store carries T5 or t7. Are either correct?

11-6-2016 16:04:27  #2

Re: Replacement ribbon olympia

If my memory serves me correctly, the ribbon spool for this machine is a fairly standard one down the line from their upright and portable manuals to their electrics.  Also, this same spool is practically universal in a lot of foreign and domestic (USA) machines.  In other words, the spool that fits your typewriter will fit an Underwood #5 or a Royal Quiet DeLuxe.  If you have other machines, chances are you may have the spools already.  Whatever the case, if you still have the old ribbon, by all means KEEP THEM SPOOLS!  Just buy you some 1/2" ribbon and rewind it onto the spools.  Tie you a knot about 4" from where the ribbon hooks onto each spool so your ribbon reverse will trip when it gets to the end.  Then thread the ribbon through the machine with the takeup spool on the left turning counter-clockwise and the right at takeup turning clockwise.  If you don't have spools, and if worse comes to worst, a universal ribbon with the core inside it will do until you can get some proper spools for it.  They're everywhere--even some older computer printers used to use those.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

11-6-2016 19:08:35  #3

Re: Replacement ribbon olympia

Thank you, TK. The T5 has some plastic spools already, and it seems to fit the machine. I'll search out metal spools later at ACE Typewriter when I get back to see Matt.

In the meantime, this machine is a SCORE. It was 21 bucks and it seems to work, no rust, without a case, but an Olympia. I'll post pics in the new acquisition thread, and thanks for your help.

Board footera