You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-6-2016 07:36:42  #1

Remington Portable 2 Carriage Advance Lever Wire Broken

Hello, all.

So, yesterday, the thin, 90-year-old wire that allows the lever to advance the carriage and turn the platen decided to break.  The machine is still, operational, via the platen knob, but I do enjoy the convenience of a working lever.  I'm wondering if anyone has some advice--maybe some pictures too--about fixing this.  I wonder if heavy fishing line would work?  Any minimally invasive fixes are especially appreciated, as I'm not terribly mechanically inclined.

I've included some pictures to give everyone a better idea.  Thanks!

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

10-6-2016 12:28:59  #2

Re: Remington Portable 2 Carriage Advance Lever Wire Broken

Without verifying it by digging out a Portable 2, I'm pretty sure that part is technically a formed spring, so I don't think fishing line isn't going to be of much help. And short of finding a comparable part, whether from a spring supplier or a parts machine, I don't see there being an easy fix for this.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-6-2016 07:33:43  #3

Re: Remington Portable 2 Carriage Advance Lever Wire Broken

Hey.  Well, that's unfortunate.  Thanks for the info though.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

Board footera