You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-12-2013 21:28:08  #1

My Holiday Run Continues...

I had several typewriters find me between Thanksgiving and Christmas including a Remington Quiet-Riter, a Royal Heritage Deluxe, and a Smith-Corona Galaxie 12. Now, just one day after Christmas, I add a Royal Dart and a Underwood Touch-Master 5. I really think the holiday season is bringing them out! Hopefully a good sign for the new year! Anyone else making acquisitions?

27-12-2013 00:10:24  #2

Re: My Holiday Run Continues...

Valiant, a fellow collector here on TT, is trimming a little fat to strengthen the core of his collection, so I just bought five machines from him two days ago. The five include an Underwood Universal (F-model era), an Optima Humber 88 (I'm still investigating this strange model), an Adler Junior 3, a Commodore Speedwriter, and a finally a Streamline generation Smith-Corona Clipper.

However, I haven't seen an influx of machines in local ads. If anything, fewer machines are being listed right now because I'm sure most people are pre-occupied with the holidays and selling typewriters isn't as high on their list of things to do right now.

Where have you been finding your machines?

EDIT: I've just solved the mystery of the Optima. It turns out the Humber 88 is nothing more than a rebadged Erika Model 10. I had to smack myself on the forehead when I figured it out because I already own a Model 10; it explained why the Optima looked so darn familiar. At least this one has a tabulator whereas my Erika doesn't.

Last edited by Uwe (05-1-2014 15:25:30)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-12-2013 00:03:06  #3

It varies. Two from an individual, two from a second hand store, and one from an antique store. The second hand store is the kind where people donate unwanted items and the store sells them to aid the local sheltered workshop. My Underwood Champion came from an auction. It's the time of year when people clean out their closets to make room for Christmas gifts.

30-12-2013 05:22:18  #4

I *very nearly* purchased an Empire Aristocrat portable today. But there were two things about it not working, which made me not buy it. The bell, and the ribbon-advance/reverser. 

other than that, for $30, I probably would've jumped on it. But I'm not going to spend money on something that isn't working right. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

30-12-2013 06:41:09  #5

I acquired a second Olympia SM4 last week - but not in great condition; absolutely filthy inside.  I'm using it as a learning machine as I tentatively strip it down.

It has the oddest fault; when the paper release lever is operated (paper bale rises and paper is free) the typing key action improves dramatically (actually improves to perfect) but when the paper release is in the normal typing position, the action is a little heavy and stodgy.  This mystifies me becasue I can as yet see no connection between these two things.

The platen is also a little stiff to turn, and though I have removed and cleaned it and all round it, I can make no improvement in that yet.

Sincerely,
beak.

30-12-2013 13:09:26  #6

Shangas wrote:

I *very nearly* purchased an Empire Aristocrat

For $30 I would buy those machines all day long. The Aristocrat is a Hermes Baby manufactured under licence by Empire and they're great machines. The two problems you mentioned are most likely easy fixes, and even so they shouldn't prevent you from typing with it.

I've got a 1948 and a 1958 Aristocrat and they're worth the investment, especially if its one of the older models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-12-2013 13:19:30  #7

I just got back from picking up a Singer T.51 that was made in England. The $25 typer had a few problems, the carriage release lever was hanging on the carriage rail preventing the carriage from advancing, and the ribbon reverse mechanism didn't work at all. I've already fixed both and the machine works properly now.

The T.51 is nothing more than rebadged Smith-Corona Skyriter (or possibly a Corsair), and it's a really horrid machine. They were built during the time Brother had flooded the market with cheap (inexpensive) portables and Smith-Corona made a desperate stab and regaining market share by producing its own plastic portables. I've sold a Corsair in the past because I hated the overall cheap feel of the typer, but had to buy this one because it had the Singer badge. They were only sold alongside Singer sewing machines and are somewhat harder to find, and therefore a little more collectable. They T.51 types well enough, but it's a purely utilitarian experience.

30-12-2013 17:52:59  #8

It was an older model. I know that much. It had round instead of square keys. I have heard good things about them. The next time I see one (they show up pretty regularly in Australia), I may buy one. The Olivetti 32 is also looking rather interesting... 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

05-1-2014 15:21:57  #9

This might be my last holiday purchase in relation to this thread as tomorrow everything is back to normal around here, but I grabbed this 1971 Imperial 220 from a local antique dealer today.

If you think that it bears a passing resemblance to the infamous Royal Fleetwood, you'd be right. The 220 is a Royal Fleetwood, or more accurately, like the Fleetwood it's a private label Silver-Seiko machine.

Like Brother, Silver-Seiko is another Japanese sewing machine company that got into the production of portable typewriters during the time when cost was more important that quality. That's not to say that these machines are poorly made or don't type well, they do, but they were built to undercut the competition and flood the market, and that goal is relected in the parts used to build them.

I bought this machine on a lark because it's not what I normally look for, but since I always thought it would be fun to own a Fleetwood, this will provide the same experience, albeit without the fake wood panelling. The 220 cost me $10. The store owner wanted $15, but the fact that it has a broken drawband was enough to leverage a discount out of him. I'm going to spend a little time this afternoon cleaning it and replacing the drawband; I'm actually quite curious to see how it types!

Board footera