You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-6-2016 15:06:46  #21

Re: How to politely tell a seller their item is over-priced?

Each country has different pricings, but Ebay seems to be invariably EXPENSIVE. Here are some price guidelines which seem to be agreed by most sellers in Spain.

- If it´s black it´s going to be at least 100 €. Condition matters not.
- If it´s been manufactured before WWII it automatically becomes a 19th century typewriter (Price x 4)
- If it´s from the 50´s, it becomes "from early 20th century". (Price x 2)
- If it´s from the 70´s or later, then it´s "vintage". (Price x whatever. Hey, it´s vintage, man!)
- If it´s a hopeless bucket of rust, then it´s a "restoration project". (Price x 0,5)
- If it´s as common as pigeons, then it´s "extremely rare". (Price x 5)
- If it´s a bubblegum pink Hispano Olivetti Pluma 22, it automatically costs more than 250 €.
- If it looks weird (Adler 7, Mignon, Gunkda...), then it must be extremely rare and condition is irrelevant. (Price x 3)
- If it´s utter crap, it´s not my fault and if you dare to give me a low rating because I´ve sold you a piece of junk I´ll give you an even lower rate. (Extremely common in Andalusia)

The most outrageous thing I´ve seen was an Hispano Olivetti M40 at 4.000 €. The excuse for the absurd pricing was that the typewriter had been restored. And it had been restored, yeah, but... A 100€ typewriter (less if you wait for a good chance)... What kind of reparations do you need to multiply the price by 40?!

Unrealistic prices have a nagging side effect, because if there´s an Underwood 5 trying to be sold at 15€ for years, most probably the next guy who´s going to post another Underwood 5 will take that price as a reference. What a domino effect, but no one seems to pause an think that if a typewriter isn´t selling at that price it´s because it´s OVERPRICED. But at the same time many sellers are in no hurry, maybe someone will catch the bait... sooner or later.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

17-6-2016 05:29:49  #22

And if its orange or bright yellow it's "Retro".
That's how I ended up almost hating the Valentine and the Traveller De Luxe. Over priced and described in the most lovely hip pop art manga MoMa retro ways, copied from other sellers with same machines. And of course full of scratches, bumps, discolouring, missing keys and levers. But it's very hipster and retro, so let's say 250$!

16-4-2018 08:46:38  #23

I had a person try and sell me a rusted Remington based upon it's weight (it's heavy so it must be valuable). He wanted $125 and was annoyed that I didn't think it was worth it. I gave him some links to help him determine it's value and walked away. 4 months later I see it is reposted for $25. Sometimes sellers just need to figure it out on their own.

22-4-2018 16:02:19  #24

I usually don't tell a seller anything and move on if I do't like the price, but I recently called out a seller on craigslist. They had their typewriter listed for $150 (already overpriced) and included a link for an ebay auction stating that the typewriter sells for over $200... Well that link was to an active "make offer" auction that did NOT sell yet. I sent an email explaining why I felt their listing was misleading.

22-4-2018 20:16:27  #25

It's pretty hard to tell someone that, while you're interested in their typewriter, you'd only pay maybe 1/4 of what they're asking for it. Even if they're clueless about what a reasonable price might be, delivering a lowball offer like that is something I figure they simply won't listen to. So I usually just don't even bother contacting them.

23-4-2018 16:19:32  #26

You could do what I did once, get mad, get into an argument...it never goes over well though
Supply them with information to back up your reasons for requesting a lower price.  If they refuse, walk away.  It can be someone else’s problem

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

23-4-2018 18:38:31  #27

I've had a little bit of success with two strategies. The first is asking them how they came up with that price. Often times they will say something along the lines of I checked on Ebay etc or some other rationale. When they realize they pulled the price out of thin air, they seem more open to a lower price. The second method I think was mentioned somewhere on this forum, ask them if they checked the "sold items" on ebay rather than the active auctions. When they see that the ones that sold are lower than what they are asking they are willing to drop the price. Of course walking away still remains the best way to let them know it is too expensive.

24-4-2018 02:46:47  #28

I sometimes wear a different hat (a flat cap actually ) since I have owned a kit car for over 30 years.  It is now so old that it is regarded as a classic car and I often find parts at autojumbles (swop meets).  I was at a large autojumble some years ago and a stall that was mainly selling Edwardian and vintage car parts had a set of instruments for a 1970's Citroen GS.  His old stuff was highly priced, probably quite correctly, but he was naturally clueless about more recent car parts and had priced the instruments at a similar level.  When he told me the price, I laughed out loud, shook my head and walked off.  Two hours later, I went back without my cap and having removed my jacket.  He didn't recognise me.  I offered my price for the instruments and bought them.  I guess I had demoralised him so much with my previous visit that he just wanted those instruments off his stall  

Board footera