You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-6-2016 18:19:29  #1

Catch & Release: $ Too High?

So, I found this today. I've been wanting one, but I let it go because it was marked at $95. Issues are--bell is faint.  When you upper case letters the ribbon guide is sluggish to descend after you release upper case. It undoubtedly just needs some cleaning and adjusting. Escapement seems to work well, tabs are working, margins ok. The case smells musty, but not the machine. There's some life in the platen and the rubber feet are sound. It's in good, if dirty, condition. Does $95 seem high or about right for this? I'm guessing it's c. 40s, right?

Thanks for your opinions. Fire away.

24-6-2016 22:58:22  #2

Re: Catch & Release: $ Too High?

Listen, it's really all about what it's worth to you and how badly you want it. For me personally, I'd pass because $95 for a typewriter as common as a 40's Royal QDL is too much. However, that didn't stop me when I shelled out $110 for a 1929 Royal Portable because I had wanted it so badly (though it is a lovely white color which I have failed to see before. So I suppose it wasn't too bad... ). From the sound of it, is doesn't need too much work, only a little cleaning and adjusting. So for about half that, I'd say it's a steal. But it's really up to you and how much you want that typewriter. I've passed up plenty of typewriters that I've really wanted because of the price, but then again, I've bought many that I should have for the price, but didn't because it was worth that much to me at the time. Point is, it's up to you.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

24-6-2016 23:38:04  #3

Re: Catch & Release: $ Too High?

Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion, ztyper. Your point is well taken.

ztyper wrote:

Listen, it's really all about what it's worth to you and how badly you want it. For me personally, I'd pass because $95 for a typewriter as common as a 40's Royal QDL is too much. However, that didn't stop me when I shelled out $110 for a 1929 Royal Portable because I had wanted it so badly (though it is a lovely white color which I have failed to see before. So I suppose it wasn't too bad... ). From the sound of it, is doesn't need too much work, only a little cleaning and adjusting. So for about half that, I'd say it's a steal. But it's really up to you and how much you want that typewriter. I've passed up plenty of typewriters that I've really wanted because of the price, but then again, I've bought many that I should have for the price, but didn't because it was worth that much to me at the time. Point is, it's up to you.

Board footera