You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-6-2016 17:16:11  #1

The Dreaded White Substance - What is it, and how do you remove it?

As I was cleaning my new Royal O today, I was shocked to find a chalky film of white over most bare metal surfaces on the rear of the typewriter. This is not the first time I've experience it, I have an otherwise beautiful maroon Smith-Corona Silent that has it even worse. The substance is crumbly, and needs to be scraped or brushed off to come off. My first thought was that it was corrosion, but after I scraped off a fair bit I accidentally inhaled some and it smelled awful. I think it could be a mold of some sort. Thankfully I am not allergic, but if I plan to sell this typewriter it may go to someone who is. Does anyone know what this stuff is, and more importantly, a way to remove it?

Here's a picture from the Model O that shows this substance (I removed a lot of it prior to the photo, the substance is best visible on the margin stop)

25-6-2016 17:46:06  #2

Re: The Dreaded White Substance - What is it, and how do you remove it?

My guess is a combo of household dust, paper shavings, and mold. Many times dust will pick up and hold moisture to the point of molding. Could've been from many years of use, or maybe an older paper stock with lots of particulate. I would recommend at least a dust mask if there's a lot of it. I usually use a heavy horsehair paint brush and the shop-vac hose

25-6-2016 18:12:22  #3

I'll be sure to wear a mask. The substance is also all over the latching parts inside the case too, and it seems to only be on certain types of metal. I've been going at it with a toothbrush soaked in denatured alcohol and progress thus far is good. I don't know what to do about that smell, though...

25-6-2016 18:45:02  #4

Reminds me of corroded batteries, and I associate this with zinc.  I don't know if that's correct, just a hunch.  As with all unknowns protect skin and lungs!

Sincerely,
beak.

25-6-2016 18:51:43  #5

That actually may have some truth to it. I know Zinc based metals often have a positive or negative charge to them. That's why it's so often used as a reactive anode in chemical baths. It may be that some of the bare metal holds a slight static charge, and therefore is gathering more dust.

25-6-2016 19:17:07  #6

beak wrote:

Reminds me of corroded batteries, and I associate this with zinc.

Beak, I think you hit the nail on the head. I did some quick research into zinc corrosion, and from the images and description I'm fairly certain that's what I'm dealing with.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article about zinc corrosion.
And a quote from that same article: "It is called wet storage stain because it occurs when a fresh zinc surface is stored in a wet environment with limited oxygen and carbon dioxide sources; the restriction in air is usually due to the items being stacked on one another or otherwise stored in close quarters".
This actually makes a lot of sense for a portable typewriter stored in a wet environment, since it would be closed in its case with limited air. The article also details some removal methods, which I'll be sure to try.

And finally, here's a picture of zinc corrosion on a ring that is very similar to the corrosion on the Model O

Thanks for the help guys! Problem solved in just a few hours.

25-6-2016 19:30:50  #7

I've also seen this happen to aluminum parts.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-6-2016 22:39:05  #8

Very much makes sense, I've seen this too on aluminum, along with your typical zinc/pot metal pieces. Glad to see there is still an active community in love with these machines.

Board footera