You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-6-2016 15:13:04  #1

Having trouble parting with an Underwood

It was my first typewriter, and I believe it"s a Rhythm=Touch. One reason I bought it is because it reminds me of my grandfather, another journalist who had at least one. I realized that shortly after I posted it for sale on craigslist. Now I'm second-guessing my decision. Is this common among typewriter lovers? Mine wasn't getting much use and I have my eyes on a more compact Torpedo in fabulous shape.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

26-6-2016 15:40:47  #2

Re: Having trouble parting with an Underwood

I have the same model with an 18-inch carriage.
I don't use it much either, but it's a keeper.

26-6-2016 15:45:42  #3

Gabby, I'm with you. I decided to try to resolve my indecision sensibly: I sat down to type on it to get the feel of what drew me to the machine in the first place. I think I'll keep it but justify that by using it more often.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

26-6-2016 16:19:33  #4

It would not only be difficult for me to get rid of an Underwood now, but it would be next to impossible.  I've sold a good many of them, though, but the machines I have now are quite sentimental.  My mother's first typewriter she bought in the late 1950's was a then-12-year-old Underwood Rhythm Shift.  Translated, it was a 1947 model.  The only surviving part from it was the ribbon reverse knob--which I ultimately placed on a 1946 Underwood Rhythm Shift--AKA "Mamma Kat."  That one, and my 1940, 1955, 2 1956, and my 1959 Underwoods I'm keeping, plus my 1947 Underwood electric and my 1956 Underwood Universal portable.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera