You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-7-2015 21:23:45  #1

Royal KMM vs. Royal FP vs. Underwood Touchmaster 5

I am pondering among the three of these, each of which is being offered on Craiglist not too far from me.  Certainly that's rather a crapshoot, but I've been told each one is "working" and the pictures look OK.  So I'll take the risks inherent in CL. 

I'd like some opinions on the relative merits of all three from any of you, assuming all are functioning properly.  I know the KMM has a lot of fans here, and that's the one that's closest to me (also the most expensive by a few dollars).  I also know the FP is well regarded, but I don't find any impressions here about the Underwood.  I do know it's well made, though not winning any points for style.  The Underwood is the cheapest of the three, and it includes a typing stand (as does the FP), but it's the farthest away by a fair amount.  So there's no clear winner here based on price or "extras."  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance.

08-7-2015 21:41:01  #2

Re: Royal KMM vs. Royal FP vs. Underwood Touchmaster 5

Hmm. The KMM and FP are similar enough, (excellent to use, built like tanks) it would be worth driving a little farther for the stand with the FP. I've never used a Touchmaster, but I have used a slightly later model (the Typemaster.) Very good machines, but in my opinion not as nice as the Royals. I say go for the FP. Or buy all three ;)

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (08-7-2015 21:42:34)

09-7-2015 07:11:05  #3

Go with the FP. BUT, if you decide its to far, go with the KMM. The KMM has the more classic look. They both type well.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

09-7-2015 10:53:28  #4

Given the choices there are two sets of criteria that would help you decide on which machine to buy: condition and aesthetics. And since a comparison of their condition would mean a through examination of all three, it looks like you're only left with the question of aesthetics, which is a purely subjective and personal thing. Considering that you are comparing three models from three different eras, the '40s, '50s, and '60s, there are remarkable differences in their design, so my suggestion would be to get the one that visually pleases you the most, or comes from an era that most interests you. Conversely, if you intend to buy more standards in the future, it might make sense to get the one that you see less frequently in your area and would be harder to find later on.

I own multiple examples of all three models and can attest that you don't need to worry about typing performance tilting the decision toward a specific typewriter. All three are nice to type with (mostly because they're standards) and have comparable feature sets.

Good luck and let us know which one you ended up buying.

Royal KMM

Royal FP

Underwood TouchMaster Five

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-7-2015 20:46:43  #5

Thanks, all.  I think I knew the FP was made in Canada (Montreal?), but didn't know the KMM was as well. And I'm assuming the Underwood was made in Hartford. 

10-7-2015 11:22:18  #6

All of my Underwood TouchMasters were made in Toronto, but the factory of origin for the ones you're looking at will probably be determined by where you live. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-7-2015 14:25:09  #7

Thanks.  This is something I'd love to find out more about -- what factories the various companies had, and when, and what machines were made in which factories.  I understood, maybe incorrectly, that the standard Royals, the FP anyway, were made in Montreal, but maybe that's not correct -- they may have been made in more than one place.

28-6-2016 20:47:08  #8

Resurrecting this old thread -- I finally got a Touch-Master Five (that's how they seem to write it) over the weekend; $10 for a pretty grimy and dusty but complete one, from 1963. I got the ribbon spooled properly (that took a while to figure out; it was messed up) and while faint, it does type. The capitals are much higher than the lower case letters, though, and before I go poking around I thought I would ask whether anyone here knows how this adjustment is made. I don't seem to find anything online about it -- most Underwood 5 stuff I see is for the older (carriage shift) machines.

I think Uwe has commented that these are not attractive machines; I can't refute him! But it has a certain charm, and of course, handsome is as handsome does.

Board footera