You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-8-2015 10:11:56  #1

My spazzing Selectic

I woke up today to find a green IBM Correcting Selectric II laying at my doorstep without a note or anything. It seemed alright, with a dust cover over it I thought that I'd escaped the death mark of it being outin the open for too long. Unfortunately, this is not the truth. After I let it cool down because it was out in the sun all morning, I pluged it in, it did a little dance as in the ball moved around and then went to the left margin. I thought 'alright, cool!' and proceeded to type "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" as usual. However, when I pressed "T", it printed the letter, but then continued to spam the "-" key over and over again at the same spot without advancing. This is the second Selectric I've laid hands on, and the second one that's broken, so I have no idea how to fix it. It also should be worth saying that it's as far left as it can go and I can't move it to th right at all since it is not advancing.Is it a mechanical problem deep inside the typewriter? Or is it from being out in the sun for too long?

Last edited by ztyper (15-8-2015 18:09:06)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

17-8-2015 00:00:19  #2

Re: My spazzing Selectic

Ok, it's gone from bad, to worse. I think it's two separate problems: one is that the carrier return mechanism is always pulling, and the "-" is somehow broken. Not only that, it's covered with dead bugs, so that was a nice surprise.

I would really love to try out a Selectric typewriter. I hear they're wonderful, so any advice concerning the machine would be extraordinary.

29-8-2015 17:41:55  #3

Your cycle clutch latch is gunked up and stuck. Must be cleaned to move freely. Join the free Yahoo group "golfballtypewritershop" and download their free Parts/Adjustment Manual and Service manial.

Last edited by exibmce (29-8-2015 17:42:27)

29-8-2015 21:10:49  #4

Is that really it? If it is, I'll be sure to do that as soon as possible because I want this thing fixed. Thank you so much for the help.

29-8-2015 23:37:33  #5

Yes, thats it. Do not use alcohol. Use mineral spirits or naphtha. Get some PB Blaster in a spray can. Download the Selectric manuals on the free Yahoo Group "golfballtypewritershop" Getback in touch with me and I can show exactly where the latch is.

06-7-2016 22:39:05  #6

Well after 11 months, I finally fixed both problems somehow with the aid of the Selectric repair manual. Now I can lay this case to rest...

Board footera