You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-7-2016 11:53:21  #11

Re: New old Underwood Standard 5 Typewriter

Wow! I just noticed that I have been upgraded to ""Platen Punisher". I'm honoured.

02-7-2016 16:05:32  #12

theoldman wrote:

TypewriterKing wrote:

YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT!  Peeling the tape off would take part or all of the deal with it.

Thank you. This is why I asked first. Thank you and I won't.

I apologize for using all caps.  I wasn't yelling at you.  I was just being emphatic because I did this same thing once, and it made me sick.  I just didn't want you to go through what I did.  Good luck with your restoration. 

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-7-2016 16:10:28  #13

theoldman wrote:

Wow! I just noticed that I have been upgraded to ""Platen Punisher". I'm honoured.

Congratulations!!  Before too long, you'll make "Speed Champion."  Just keep writing everything you can about typewriters--what you've found out, the machines you buy, and all the other stuff that other people will either be uninterested in or will not understand.  I use this forum, in addition to trying to help out others fix their typewriters, to get all that conversation I have had bottled up for the last 35 years that my friends told me they didn't understand, or "had a baseball game to go to," or  "had something on the stove."  And those people eat out all the time--never saw any of 'em ever cook anything in their lives!!  I just had to take the hint, shut up, and go back to fixing my typewriters.  Now I can talk about it too!!

02-7-2016 16:12:49  #14

TypewriterKing wrote:

theoldman wrote:

Congratulations!!  Before too long, you'll make "Speed Champion."  Just keep writing everything you can about typewriters--what you've found out, the machines you buy, and all the other stuff that other people will either be uninterested in or will not understand.  I use this forum, in addition to trying to help out others fix their typewriters, to get all that conversation I have had bottled up for the last 35 years that my friends told me they didn't understand, or "had a baseball game to go to," or  "had something on the stove."  And those people eat out all the time--never saw any of 'em ever cook anything in their lives!!  I just had to take the hint, shut up, and go back to fixing my typewriters.  Now I can talk about it too!!

Good luck, and hope to see lots of posts from you!

02-7-2016 16:34:26  #15

TypewriterKing wrote:

TypewriterKing wrote:

theoldman wrote:

Good luck, and hope to see lots of posts from you!

I'm sure that I will have many more questions TypewriterKing. I do carry on or so I've been told.

In fact do have another question. What about removing the platen on the Underwood? Possible? Doable? Forget about it?

02-7-2016 23:12:20  #16

theoldman wrote:

In fact do have another question. What about removing the platen on the Underwood? Possible? Doable? Forget about it?

It is doable, but I wouldn't recommend messing with it unless you have to. If you need to remove the platen, I posted some instructions below. I believe the original instructions are for a later Underwood, but they are very similar, except you may also need to remove the carriage release key to get it out of the way in order to pull the shaft. I have added details on removing the release key. Also note, that after replacing the carriage, if you reattach the right knob too flush to the skeleton carriage guide, it may interfere with the shift. There needs to be a hair of space between the right knob and the metal guide.

I

02-7-2016 23:27:49  #17

SoucekFan wrote:

theoldman wrote:

It is doable, but I wouldn't recommend messing with it unless you have to. If you need to remove the platen, I posted some instructions below. I believe the original instructions are for a later Underwood, but they are very similar, except you may also need to remove the carriage release key to get it out of the way in order to pull the shaft. I have added details on removing the release key. Also note, that after replacing the carriage, if you reattach the right knob too flush to the skeleton carriage guide, it may interfere with the shift. There needs to be a hair of space between the right knob and the metal guide.

I

Thank you for your very helpful instructions. But I will follow your advice and not remove it unless it is absolutely necessary. It does look like its a little hairy to say the least. I had in my head that it would be a good idea so that I could get deeper into the inside to clean. But I don't want to get into trouble here if I don't have to.
Thanks again for the instructions and your input. I have saved your diagram.

09-7-2016 17:57:56  #18

The carriage of an Underwood 5 is very easy to remove some you can get at the guts. Just unscrew the platen on the front top that has the ruler/scale attached. Then unhook the draw string and attach it to the mainframe.  Then lift up the front of the carriage and slide the whole thing off.

You can also remove the platen assembly,  but this is a bit more fiddly and getting it back on can sometimes involve a bit of swearing

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

09-7-2016 21:35:40  #19

NDW76 wrote:

The carriage of an Underwood 5 is very easy to remove some you can get at the guts. Just unscrew the platen on the front top that has the ruler/scale attached. Then unhook the draw string and attach it to the mainframe.  Then lift up the front of the carriage and slide the whole thing off.

You can also remove the platen assembly,  but this is a bit more fiddly and getting it back on can sometimes involve a bit of swearing

Thanks. I am going to make an effort to clean with just removing the basic minimum. But it's good to know its doable incase I change my mind. Thanks for your input.

10-7-2016 22:31:16  #20

I simply moved the carriage a few times today and I have already had a setback before I have even begun. I heard a snap and then the sound of the main spring uncoiling!  Now I will need to find a replacement carriage strap! I don't know how that will go! (If anyone has one please contact me!!!)
I think that now I will have to remove the top half of the machine in order to fix this issue. This is something that I previously did not want to do. But I plan on sticking to my original plan. Clean, polish and then repair. I will have many questions. Please bear with me. I am going be taking it slow.

Board footera