You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-7-2016 13:39:35  #1

old typewriters

I found an old Arrow Royal and a Remington in an "antique shop" last week.  Since both had issues. I tried to bargain with the owner on the price.  He said, "no way, I can get two hundred dollars a piece for these.  Teen-age girls are buying them up like crazy as a fad."  I suppose to send actual snail mail ?  Anyone else encounter this ?

09-7-2016 16:56:01  #2

Re: old typewriters

Yes, it does seem that some people have the idea that their stuff is worth a lot more than it actually is.  Having shopped at a whole bunch of flea markets, antique and junk stores, I encounter it alot.  Usually, I just wait until they come down on the price of whatever they seem so proud of.  As for this merchant selling $200 typewriters (I'll just bet neither of them even print, nor are they even anything rare, but I'm just guessing without even seeing these machines.  I'm only going by what I've run into) to teenage girls, my guess is that they are only going to use these machines for decoration on a shelf (bookends or DVD ends, maybe).  But $200!?  I guess nothing's changed--they're about as bad with their money as I ever was.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

11-7-2016 17:38:34  #3

One technique that I use to talk down the price of an expensive typewriter, is to just simply out-jargon them. If you use a lot of the words that are used to describe the condition, the function, and the operation of the machine, then the seller is suddenly confused. Even play up the problems a bit like what I did with my Royal 10 last year. I told the seller that all of its tab stops were missing and that you cannot replace them and that alone knocked off $20 (meanwhile I had spares from an LC Smith at home). But it seems like this seller you are describing is rather stubborn and as a result won't budge much so I'd just move on and hope that you'll find another typewriter for a better price.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

11-7-2016 19:13:34  #4

Id move on. So many people today think they are worth thousands. These people just dont understand (Not being rude, just saying) that they are what they are called. Typewriters. Especially a Royal Arrow! (Which they are pretty common). Now if its rebuilt, thats different.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

12-7-2016 08:18:34  #5

Your typical "antiques store" proprietor is selling to a decorator market that seeks non-functional items that would accent an interior design scheme, often in an impulse purchase. So their prices have no relation to real value as seen by an enthusiast who has an understanding of condition, rarity and potential for restoration to full working order.
It's buy low/sell high for most antiques dealers, and most that I have met have no problem sitting on inventory until some customer meets their price. 

12-7-2016 13:22:24  #6

ztyper wrote:

One technique that I use to talk down the price of an expensive typewriter, is to just simply out-jargon them. If you use a lot of the words that are used to describe the condition, the function, and the operation of the machine, then the seller is suddenly confused.

That worked for me with an Olympia Splendid 33, but sadly it usually goes the "Royal Arrow Route". Somehow, common typewriters which are not too old are getting a lot of hype as decorative items because they´re "retro" or "vintage". An Underwood 5 is too old, too office-like, but you can toss a little Royal Arrow into any room. Maybe someone will come and cough up the $200, and yeah, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them, but I still feel there´s something wrong with that.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

12-7-2016 14:47:56  #7

Wearing one of my other hats, I often buy vintage car parts at autojumbles (like a car boot sale for parts and tools etc.).  I have tried a variety of techniques for getting the price down over the years.  One of the most audacious was a few years ago when a stall holder had a set of car instruments that I wanted.  When he told me the price I laughed out loud and walked away.  I went back a few hours later and got them for the price I had in mind

13-7-2016 18:55:34  #8

Javi wrote:

Somehow, common typewriters which are not too old are getting a lot of hype as decorative items because they´re "retro" or "vintage". An Underwood 5 is too old, too office-like, but you can toss a little Royal Arrow into any room.

...Funny you should say that because my Royal Arrow is currently being used as my living room centerpiece  (It's more of a very sneaky move on my part to store a typewriter so I have more space in my room and anyone that comes over sees it, and so therefore now knows that I collect typewriters. So it's a win-win-win!)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

13-7-2016 20:13:03  #9

ztyper wrote:

Javi wrote:

Somehow, common typewriters which are not too old are getting a lot of hype as decorative items because they´re "retro" or "vintage". An Underwood 5 is too old, too office-like, but you can toss a little Royal Arrow into any room.

...Funny you should say that because my Royal Arrow is currently being used as my living room centerpiece  (It's more of a very sneaky move on my part to store a typewriter so I have more space in my room and anyone that comes over sees it, and so therefore now knows that I collect typewriters. So it's a win-win-win!)

I can't help but have at least ten or more typewriters on display all around the house.  I have that many and the thought of storing them out in the garage to collect dirt and rust--perfectly good working ones--makes my feet hurt.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-7-2016 06:55:12  #10

I also have many typewriters dancing around at home, and of course I love seeing them there, they´re beautiful pieces of engineering and a good place one brings life to your house. That´s the extremely good part of typewriters as decorative objects

But what I wanted to focus on was on the bad part, and believe me, I´m having a hard time to explain it because I can´t find the appropriate words! What I´m thinking about is like when people use books as decoration. I mean, it´s as if you buy a bookcase and you fill it with books which look good. The red ones for the upper shelf, blue ones mixed with green ones at the middle, then a couple of bookstops which could be two colourful typewriters and at the bottom some kind of 20-tome encyclopedia. And you´re never going to read any of the books, and they could even be false books for that matter (like props from a movie).

Thhat´s why think selling typewriters as decorative pieces while targeting at a high spending public who don´t even remotely care is absolutely wrong. Yes, if you´re willing to pay nobody´s going to stop you, and the same goes for the books. If you want to use them for decoration because they give your home an air of "cultchor" and "nowlech", good for you. You´re unmasked, congratulations.

This may sound be a bit too extreme, and maybe I can´t exactly tell what I´m thinking (the language barrier, sorry ), or even maybe I´m overshooting it, but it´s a bit like that thing with the crushed typewriter at the press. That, somehow, fells wrong.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera