You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-7-2016 23:22:36  #21

Re: New old Underwood Standard 5 Typewriter

You may be fine. Keep the metal hooks, and then you can use either a flat bootlace or a decent weight fishing line for the strap. You can fish it through with a hook without removing the carriage. You will have to experiment with the number of winds on the spring to reach the correct tension. It is not that bad of a repair.

10-7-2016 23:37:02  #22

Thanks for the information. We will certainly give it a try.

11-7-2016 19:08:30  #23

The carriage is really easy to remove. If I Remember right, unwind he mainspring (Which has already been done), unhook the draw band. Unscrew the long margin bar in the front, with the scale. You will have a metal L on the right. That prevents the carriage from coming off. That comes off with the right screw. After this is done, use the carriage release buttons and slide the carriage to the right. When it stops, tilt it up from the front, continue moving right and it slides off.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

11-7-2016 19:10:15  #24

TypewriterGuy wrote:

The carriage is really easy to remove. If I Remember right, unwind he mainspring (Which has already been done), unhook the draw band. Unscrew the long margin bar in the front, with the scale. You will have a metal L on the right. That prevents the carriage from coming off. That comes off with the right screw. After this is done, use the carriage release buttons and slide the carriage to the right. When it stops, tilt it up from the front, continue moving right and it slides off.

Thanks Typewriterguy

12-7-2016 19:25:24  #25

theoldman wrote:

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Thanks Typewriterguy

Any complications when reinstalling that carriage TypewriterGuy?

14-7-2016 17:13:37  #26

No.  The way I remember on those old Model 5s, it's exactly the reverse to reinstalling, but pay attention to the little wheel in the middle that contacts a smaller rail below near where the escapement wheel is.  This is the shifting rail, and there is a hook on the bottom of the wheel on the carriage--make sure this goes below that rail and that the wheel contacts the top.  I have seen scads of these and Underwood 6, Master models, and other carriage-shifters that were absolutely out of line.  I could usually figure them out and get them back again.  But just remember--the installation is the reverse, but pay attention that the hook goes below the little rail near the escapement wheel, and the wheel in the middle of the carriage goes on top of that rail.  Good luck getting it all together.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-7-2016 23:14:07  #27

Thanks although it does sound a little complicated. But do need this information. I don't know how far I will have to go to clean this unit so it looks and functions fine. My first goal is to protect the areas which have stickers. Maybe removing the platen so that I can get to the paper tray will give me sufficient room. I don't know at this point.

Board footera