You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-4-2016 18:45:55  #1

Looking for info on Royal Academy

I looked in the TWDB and couldn't find any entry for Royal Academy.  The serial number that I found on mine is 52201172.  Am I missing something or is it shown under another model?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

30-4-2016 23:49:11  #2

Re: Looking for info on Royal Academy

I thought the Academy was an electric model, but then again it sometimes seems that Royal was coming up with new models names on a monthly basis during the '60s. Is there any chance that the number has one too many digits in it? Or that the first digit is an S instead of a 5?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-5-2016 11:10:26  #3

It is an electric model.  The number as I typed it above was on the right side under the carriage.

01-5-2016 13:13:07  #4

Okay, now that I know we're talking about the electric, I'm fairly certain it was made by Nakajima for Royal, which means that you're dealing with a Nakajima and not a Royal serial number. That being the case, based on the serial number I would speculate that your machine's manufacture year was 1985. I'm basing this on the '83 Nakajima electric I have that uses the same serial number format.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-5-2016 14:26:24  #5

I see.  I also see there is no info on the TWDB about Royal (Nakajima).  This notation is gray in the list of models.  I will plan to post a pic of this machine there with the information.

Thanks Uwe!

16-7-2016 20:51:18  #6

I tried looking for information on this model myself, since I got one for free today. A Craigslist posting -- the owner was going to throw it out and offered it for free.  She left it for me to pick up. She said it powered up, and yes, it does that, but that's all. So I'm ticked -- I wondered whether a belt slipped or something, but I can't see how to get inside. Frustrating. So I guess I'll be the one pitching it out -- unless somebody has an idea?

16-7-2016 21:25:48  #7

I would say it is a belt issue.  A lot of those plastic-cased Japanese portable typewriters made in the eighties had flat belts, and these for some reason didn't last long.  I have a Sears portable typewriter I bought not too long ago that has the same issue.  I remember from my days of installing belt kits in VCRs, the belts would go rotten after a time and need changing--the same with these machines--only on a slightly bigger scale.  I'm going to try the local vacuum cleaner shop to see if they have a belt at least close to the size used by the typewriter.  Remember, if you're going to re-belt, you can get something slightly smaller--but not too small since the bearings/bushings will wear prematurely.  Too large, and it just won't work at all, as we all well know.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

17-7-2016 12:52:35  #8

The local typewriter repair shop was able to make a belt to get it working.  Yes, it was a belt issue.

17-7-2016 21:25:14  #9

That's encouraging -- I can't see how to remove the case to get at the motor and belt, though. There are four screws at the corners on the bottom, and screws holding the feet on, all of which I've unscrewed but with no results.

17-7-2016 21:57:47  #10

Fleetwing wrote:

That's encouraging -- I can't see how to remove the case to get at the motor and belt, though. There are four screws at the corners on the bottom, and screws holding the feet on, all of which I've unscrewed but with no results.

Usually, I have found that after you get out all the bottom screws you find, you still have to go around the machine where the top meets the bottom with a screw driver or a table knife and go along the edges.  These typewriters with the plastic cases are snapped together in addition to the screws that hold them in place. 

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera