You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-7-2016 16:13:39  #31

Re: What kind of paper are you using?

You know, one of these days, I've just GOT to make another letterhead for myself.  I did that one time a long time ago, but I had a different telephone number at the time, so I wouldn't be able to use them.  I even still have the same typewriter I once used, but I'm afraid it's down right now, so which typewriter to use?  Hmmmmmm.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

08-8-2016 11:29:41  #32

I found a case (2500 pages) of tractor-form paper, itself made from recycled paper. It tears down to Letter size and comes from the daisy-wheel/dot-matrix era, so the surface is designed to take ink from a ribbon. I paid $5 at the thrift store.
I cut pages to a friendly 8x10 for letters, keep the full size for fiction and the journal.
My wife says that the creamy color looks better than the harsh white of the ink jet stuff I had used.

One portable, one desktop machine. What would I do with more? - he said, unable to see his future.

28-8-2016 04:51:35  #33

I recently found some typewriter paper from a UK supplier. It seems pretty good, though I haven't done a proper compare and contrast test yet. http://www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-bond-typing-paper-a4-80gsm-100-sheets

29-8-2016 14:05:31  #34

I nomally tell customers who ask about typing paper to use the normal 80gsm photocopier/printer paper that you can buy from most supermarkets.  It will be very interesting to find out if this stuff from Ryman is different in any way or just a cynical re-branding of the ordinary paper.  Please keep us all posted !

29-8-2016 16:52:22  #35

Up close, the Ryman paper has some differences. I asked my 16 year old to do a blind feel test, and the printer paper had a more 'greasy' feel to her, while I found that the Ryman paper had a more velvet surface texture. Up at the window, there was a visible difference in the pattern of the pulp, with the Ryman paper having a more scattered appearence, while the printer paper had more parallel alignment of the pulp, with very faint lines. The Ryman paper seems to stand up to being typed on better than my cheap printer paper, with far fewer raised areas on the reverse of the paper so far. I haven't tried it on all my machines! Tomorrow I am going to do some folding, ripping, and crumpling tests, and some tests with liquids, to see how a manuscript with spilt beverage on it would fare. The longevity of the printed page is going to be interesting too. It would be nice to have some choice in weight of the Typewriter paper,  80gsm is pretty good for everyday typing but I prefer a 90gsm. Still, it's typewriter paper! I think its encouraging that Rymans think there are enough typewriter users to merit this line of paper in the UK.

30-8-2016 11:39:43  #36

I did a few tests with water and coffee today, and the Ryman paper is definitely more absorbant than the printer paper, so if you spill coffee on your pages, by the time you've found something to mop it up with, it will have soaked in quite well. The up side of that should be an improved uptake of ink in typing. Though I can't see the difference with a new ribbon.

20-9-2016 10:29:26  #37

Greetings All

​A couple of months ago I was in Staples and saw their "Step Forward Paper" so thought I'd give it a try. The paper is advertised as being 80% tree free and contains wheat straw. Whether this means it's made from 80% wheat straw and 20% wood pulp, I'm not sure. The paper is 21lb or 80 g/m² with a 92 brightness meaning it's not glaringly white like a lot of todays laser and inkjet papers. The only downside I can see is the paper is a little softer than normal copy paper so and doesn't stand up as well to repeated handling.

One note of interest, when writing on this paper with a fountain pen, minimal wicking and bleed through is noticed. The ink doesn't stand up on the surface quite as nicely as coated paper, but I think it would be a satisfactory paper for handwritten drafts or using a fountain pen for annotations to a typewritten draft. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

20-9-2016 12:35:30  #38

That was the paper that I meant to get at my local Staples the other day and they didn't have it in stock, so I'm glad that someone else here has tried it out. Like you I often use the same paper for both typewriter and fountain pen, and it's nice to have one that works well with both - and is a more environmentally friendly option. I tried out the sugarcane based paper that was mentioned by someone else - either in this thread or somewhere else in the forum - and didn't find that it worked very well for my needs. And your review of the 'wheat' paper seems lukewarm. I suppose there's a good reason why trees have been used so long...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-10-2016 03:46:03  #39

Lately I've been using letterheaded paper a friend printed for me using his Victorian printing-press on some 'Conqueror' brand A4 laid office paper. I also have some NOS 13"x8" (foolscap) 'Croxley Script personal typewriting paper', which is surprisingly different in look & feel from today's printer papers. It's also quite lightweight - I'd say less than 80gsm, but it works very well.

01-11-2016 05:23:46  #40

I found a box of "Ryman White Bank" in A4 size, 40gsm when clearing my parents' house a few years ago. I reckon this is for carbon copies as there was some carbon paper as well. This must date from the 1980s as my Dad got a PC in about 1992 when he could no longer get his electric typewriter fixed. I think he would have much preferred to have had the typewriter fixed than get a PC. I acquired what seems like a lifetimes supply of stationery which I am slowly using. That box of paper is still in my basement as it seemed wasteful to throw it away.

I did buy some carbon paper the other day, from Rymans, to try it out. I stopped using a typewriter in the late 1980s when I got a BBC micro with View word processor & a dot matrix printer. Seems very old fashioned now!  

Board footera