You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-7-2016 20:55:33  #1

Why does the Olympia SM5 get so little respect?

I love mine, and prefer it to the SM9. It may not have basket shift, and the carriage is a bit heavy, but I like it like that. I like machines with heft. Are there any other SM5 lovers out there? I'm sure an SM4 or SM7 would make me happy, but why fix what's not broken?

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

23-7-2016 01:01:19  #2

Re: Why does the Olympia SM5 get so little respect?

I like the SM-3 and SM-9 that I have, but right now I'm in the L.C. Smith use phase.    I was going to pull out one of the Olympias earlier, but didn't get around to it and now it's late.  I don't type well when I get tired.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

23-7-2016 04:23:04  #3

The SM5 was a budget version of the SM3 and 4 and thus it's a slightly stripped-down model - it has no touch selector, for a start, and less soundproofing. And its keys lack the special levelling device that the 3 and 4 had, which I think was what gave them that legendary 'snap'. It's still an Olympia, so it's hardly a bad typewriter -  but it's not one of the definitive ones.

23-7-2016 13:12:13  #4

KatLondon wrote:

The SM5 was a budget version of the SM3 and 4 and thus it's a slightly stripped-down model - it has no touch selector, for a start, and less soundproofing. And its keys lack the special levelling device that the 3 and 4 had, which I think was what gave them that legendary 'snap'. It's still an Olympia, so it's hardly a bad typewriter -  but it's not one of the definitive ones.

I agree still a great machine but ... Unless you are collecting the various Olympia portable models, I would rather have the SM3/SM4. The touch is more refined? 

23-7-2016 17:50:18  #5

KatLondon wrote:

...its keys lack the special levelling device that the 3 and 4 had, which I think was what gave them that legendary 'snap'.

I'd love to know who started the notion that there's a "leveling device" in its keys. I've spent years correcting this myth, but I suppose once such things are spread on the internet they're destined to be perpetually repeated by typewriter bloggers.

The actual truth is that the keys have built in springs and buckets to cushion the type action and improve typing comfort. Such devices were actually available as accessory aftermarket items for a few decades, but Olympia took it to the next level by including the feature in a production machine. It has absolutely nothing to do with "leveling" of any kind, and if anyone doesn't believe me, you only need to take a ruler and measure the deflection of the keybar to find out for yourself. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-7-2016 19:53:15  #6

I am not an expert on foreign machines, even Olympia, nor do I pretend to be.  But I do know this:  The Olympias I've seen, except for the SGEs, do have spring-loaded keys, and it's the only typewriter make I know of that has them.  I've seen them on the SG uprights.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

24-7-2016 07:10:05  #7

TypewriterKing wrote:

I am not an expert on foreign machines, even Olympia, nor do I pretend to be. But I do know this: The Olympias I've seen, except for the SGEs, do have spring-loaded keys, and it's the only typewriter make I know of that has them. I've seen them on the SG uprights.

Could you explain that, please? This is mostly an issue of me being lost in translation, because what I imagine whith spring-loaded keys is something like what you find in the Erika Modell S. The link between the key and the typebar is a spring instead of a piece of steel wire, and that makes the machine extremely snappy and responsive, but not especially comfortable.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

24-7-2016 10:35:06  #8

Javi wrote:

TypewriterKing wrote:

I am not an expert on foreign machines, even Olympia, nor do I pretend to be. But I do know this: The Olympias I've seen, except for the SGEs, do have spring-loaded keys, and it's the only typewriter make I know of that has them. I've seen them on the SG uprights.

Could you explain that, please? This is mostly an issue of me being lost in translation, because what I imagine whith spring-loaded keys is something like what you find in the Erika Modell S. The link between the key and the typebar is a spring instead of a piece of steel wire, and that makes the machine extremely snappy and responsive, but not especially comfortable.

The Erika Modell S doesn't feel like the Olympia's does it? The keys do not  have that spring back feel to it like the Olympias? I wonder if the Erika actually has the leveling key system versus the spring on the Olympia(s)? Those earlier Erikas are built extremely well, they are solid and soooo gorgeous! But the typing action has its own feel to it.

28-7-2016 13:08:41  #9

Uwe wrote:

The actual truth is that the keys have built in springs and buckets to cushion the type action and improve typing comfort. 

Whatever it is, then! The thing that makes it better than everything else. It's true that it even feels more springy than level, had I been paying more attention/taking more time, but I'm not an engineer and was trying to describe the experience more than the process that creates it.  Apologies for inaccuracy.

28-7-2016 13:16:21  #10

Regardless of pedigree, it's a fabulous machine. One of my top five go-to machines.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

Board footera