You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-11-2014 07:33:37  #1

Sluggish carriage on Royal Model O

A model O I received sometime ago in the past few months (http://typewriterdatabase.com/1937-royal-portable-standard-model-o.3476.typewriter) is acting up. I was cleaning out the carriage rails with minerals spirits but after the stuff dried the carriage had much difficulty moving. It used to advance just fine, but now it hardly does at all. The carriage return and carriage release still work smoothly. How do I fix this, and why did it happen?

P.S. The problems it has in the database gallery were fixed

11-11-2014 10:03:58  #2

Re: Sluggish carriage on Royal Model O

So when you use the carriage release does the carriage moves back and forth as freely as it should? And the issue is just with the carriage not advacing with keystrokes and when using the spacebar? Sounds like you've got an escapement that needs cleaning. Coincidence? Or maybe you dislodged a lump of congealed oil from a rail that ended up in the escapement? Who knows.

There could be another reason too. I don't know how you cleaned the rails, but if you've moved the carriage to its absolutely extreme ends and the ball retainers in the rails were properly positioned by the last person who put them in, it could be that you've now got a binding ball retainer. It's happened to me more than once.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-11-2014 18:35:18  #3

Just took her back out of the case and it seems the problem fixed itself. Maybe I should have waited for the spirits to fully dry before I made assumptions. Anyway, the Model O is finally working!

29-7-2016 13:27:36  #4

This is odd, but I was working on another unrelated Model O and the same problem occured - except much worse. I was typing some test sentences, not even working on the rails as I was fixing sticky keys, and the movement because sluggish and then stopped completely. This happened quickly after I had written several lines without issue. The carriage moves when I hold the carriage release and the carriage return (without holding carriage release) is only slightly heavier than usual, but on keystrokes there is no movement. I have to push the carriage to get it to advance, and even then it takes a fair bit of effort.

I don't know what happened, but I do know this one is severe enough that it won't work itself out like last time. Basically, here's what I'm wondering: Is there a way for me to access the escapement without removing the carriage? If not, how should I go about removing it? I'm thinking a bit of dirt or dust fell from the rails and is embedded in the escapement gear.

29-7-2016 14:56:21  #5

I want to clarify what you're describing. With the carriage release pressed the carriage moves fairly freely back and forth the entire range of its stroke, but it won't move without a push during normal typing?

I wouldn't say that it's unusual for a machine that hasn't been used in a while to act erratically until it has been thoroughly cleaned or serviced. Dirt, congealed grease, eraser shavings, and everything else you can find in an old typewriter can easily move around while the machine is being used and cause a formerly working part to suddenly misbehave. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-7-2016 16:24:02  #6

It sounds to me like something got caught in a rail, and then was dislodged.  I remember cleaning a carriage rail on a Smith-Corona (which has about the same rail structure) with a paper towel.  Part of the towel broke off and lodged between a bearing and the rail.  It stuck, needless to say.  Then a little later, I was sliding the carriage backward and forth, and the little wad of paper dislodged and everything was fine.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

29-7-2016 20:03:51  #7

Uwe wrote:

I want to clarify what you're describing. With the carriage release pressed the carriage moves fairly freely back and forth the entire range of its stroke, but it won't move without a push during normal typing?

Yep, that's the problem. I'm assuming nothing is caught in the bearings because the carriage runs smooth with the release lever. I think I'll see if I can clean out the escapement gear.

30-7-2016 06:51:53  #8

Royal escapements are VERY picky. Royal used basically the same escapement design for a long time. And if it gets any bit of gunk (Well for me....) they freeze up. 

Have you check for things grinding? I had a typewriter repair where the tab set was jammed above (Yes, ABOVE) the rack, and completely froze up everything.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

30-7-2016 16:09:07  #9

Yes a tab stop rack, especially if the tab set is sticking, will stop everything cold.  On some machines with a total tab clear (like L. C. Smith, older Smith-Corona uprights, and Olympia) the tab clear key will do the same thing.  Underwoods, if the tab stop rack is positioned too high where it hits the tab set finger even when it's in its resting position, will either stop things cold or will produce a horrible sound when you're trying to move the carriage.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera