You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-8-2016 14:11:36  #1

Typewriter Documentary

Hello all – and please excuse me if this is in the wrong forum.

I am a New York based filmmaker starting work on a short documentary about typewriters.   I’m primarily interested in the personal relationships people have with these machines, our memories of them, and how this differs from our modern relationships to technology and other objects and their ephemeral, intangible nature.

We’re looking to speak to a few typewriter collectors/users/repairmen (or women) in the New York/NJ/CT/PA area.  If you live in one of these areas and would be interested in chatting, please drop us a line at typewriterfilm@gmail.com with a few lines about yourself as well as the city and state you live in.  Look forward to hearing from you!

03-8-2016 14:31:02  #2

Re: Typewriter Documentary

I'm experiencing a strong sense of déjà vu right now... 

Since you're no doubt familiar with this somewhat recent doc, I'm curious if you have a fresh approach to the subject planned.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-8-2016 15:35:30  #3

Thanks for your response, and directing me to the right forum.  

For starters, we're only looking to do a short piece...probably around 10 mins.  I think this length might be more digestible to non-enthusiasts; our goal is to shed a light on an interesting world that many of us don't know about, but not delve too deeply into it.  

My interest, as I mentioned, is really more about the personal memories that people have of these machines: the first time they used one or owned one, family stories and memories, and what makes them special, long-lastic objects, in contrast to the way we seem to be going today, with our possessions being more disposable and often intangible.  

04-8-2016 00:20:30  #4

Sounds interesting. Good luck with your project, and I hope you keep us posted on your progress.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-8-2016 10:53:01  #5

Will do.  Thanks!

Board footera