You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-8-2016 08:30:25  #1

changing type bars ...

Okay, I am a glutton for punishment. I have a SCM Super G which I got out of my father - in - laws estate. I didn't look at it much, as I had other typewriters around here to work on. BUT lately my Corsair has been developing problems, starting with the ribbon hangs up going from right to left. Then there is the issue of keys which don't always hit the platen, which I don't have with the Classic. It is not me, it is the stupid machine. Other fun things which are driving me nuts,like the return lever broke off the other night while i was just returning the carriage.(Stupid screw broke in half - and it has to be a very special screw!) I decided it was time to retire the Corsair, and get out the Super G.

Nice machine! power space, a dejamb key which also back spaces. and an erasure table. Only problem? I never looked at the thing, but now looking the second bar - "A" is missing the type face. It is broken off, i guess he was trying to align type and it broke off, judging from the other keys, and the way they hit, and knowing how fussy he was with thing working right. AND I love the deep blue color!

So - other than the broken key bar, and I did find the type face when I cleaned out the machine, it fell out of the works -- and the fact that I do have a Corsair which is acting up after all these years -- i was thinking of just changing the type bars out. That is pull the wire (part 17) in the manual, and exchange the type bars from the Corsair to the Super G. It looks easy enough from the Y6C manual, just pull the wire, unhook the linkage and then pull the one bar out, stuff in the other one reversing the process and just continue thru all 44 bars.

From what I can tell all of these "plastic" machines from England are basically the same thing in the main, that is the basket and most of the parts are the same, so -- to fix the Y7C unit with the bars from the Y6C should be a few hours worth of work.

I really do not like the type style on the G, it looks funny and has a wider spacing  than standard pica. Which is why I am thinking of pulling the things out of one unit which has problems, and stuff them into a newer unit which does not have problems.

Is this a feasible operation? I do have the manuals for the Corsair / Deluxe / 700 / 710. The 710 is basically the same machine body in the Super G case.

Suggestions? Think is will work okay? Before I get into a major rework I would like some input from the typewriter crowd....

Thanks for your time and considerations and suggestions.

The Aerojet

04-8-2016 16:11:12  #2

Re: changing type bars ...

Ugh. A corsair. Those things ARE cheap and plastic.

Yes, changing (Well, seems like you'd rather just change the whole type basket) type bars is possible, HOWEVER those late portables are not fun to work on... Especially with something like that. It CAN be done though. You're easiest and best bet would be to.. Hmmm, well depending on where exactly the head broke off, you could get two other thin stripes of metal, and use rivets or something to secure them to the typebar, along with JB Weld holding it together some more. Not the best fix though. Ill let others say what they think...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

04-8-2016 16:56:50  #3

As long as you're not trying to stuff pica type bars into an elite type machine, you'll be okay.  It looks like you'll be all right since you say that the spacing looks "wider spacing than standard pica."  It could be the type style (sans serif?)  Anyway, make sure the typebars are identical, as well as the linkages--from what you said, they should be.  Now, down to the actual meat-cutting:  Take the typebars out of the Super G.  There is a curved metal rod that holds them in place, and you'll want to push it the rest of the way.  You can use a small screw driver and push it to where it sticks way up on one side, then you can remove it with a pair of pliers.  Take care to save all the linkages and remember where they go because a lot of times, they are different sizes from the outer edges towards the middle.  The type bars, it isn't as critical to place the type bars in any order since you won't be using them.  Now pull the type bars out of the corsair, save the linkages on each type bar as you did the others, but this time lay them out on a table in order from left to right, so you'll know you can place them in the exact order they go in.  It's slow, repetitious, and tedious work, but I've done this kind of operation a few times.  If both machines are pica, the type bars are the only thing you'll have to change.  I remember changing an elite type Underwood Golden Touch to a pica type one.  I changed out the type bars, escapement wheel and mechanism, tabulator mechanism, margin stops and mechanism, and front scale.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

04-8-2016 17:00:09  #4

TypewriterKing wrote:

As long as you're not trying to stuff pica type bars into an elite type machine, you'll be okay. It looks like you'll be all right since you say that the spacing looks "wider spacing than standard pica." It could be the type style (sans serif?) Anyway, make sure the typebars are identical, as well as the linkages--from what you said, they should be. Now, down to the actual meat-cutting: Take the typebars out of the Super G. There is a curved metal rod that holds them in place, and you'll want to push it the rest of the way. You can use a small screw driver and push it to where it sticks way up on one side, then you can remove it with a pair of pliers. Take care to save all the linkages and remember where they go because a lot of times, they are different sizes from the outer edges towards the middle. The type bars, it isn't as critical to place the type bars in any order since you won't be using them. Now pull the type bars out of the corsair, save the linkages on each type bar as you did the others, but this time lay them out on a table in order from left to right, so you'll know you can place them in the exact order they go in. It's slow, repetitious, and tedious work, but I've done this kind of operation a few times. If both machines are pica, the type bars are the only thing you'll have to change. I remember changing an elite type Underwood Golden Touch to a pica type one. I changed out the type bars, escapement wheel and mechanism, tabulator mechanism, margin stops and mechanism, and front scale.

Oh, thats sounds easier than I thought. But I think they are trying to switch the two...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

05-8-2016 08:07:15  #5

Thanks for the info... From the service manual on changing type bars -- basically pull that linkage wire, one by one, and feed another wire in. As the bars come out, unhook the linkage wire, and connect it to the new bar. Slip new bar into position and move on to the next one.

As I said looking at the SCM (blue) service manual for these units, where it gets different is in the features, like the power spacing and the de-jam lever. Other than the jacket being different, it is basically a Corsair, deluxe, 700, 710, or super G. This isn't rocket science, but I am not paying some goof $200 to change out the type bars. I have worked on enough tough locks to know a thing or three about spring loaded mechanisms, and how to carefully handle them. I was just wondering if this was do able -- and if anyone had done it before. As far as the bars themselves, The Corsair has pica, 12 point type and 10 monospacing, which looks good. The Super G seems to have some form of elite, but not quite 10 point - and the unit also has 10 monospacing. Which makes for funny looking words, with - w i d e   s p a c e s   b e t w e e n   t h e  l e t t e r s   l i k e   t h i s. I got one case where it goes like this -- i  t    and then reversing " ti"  but closer. that is the original type alignment problem I think he was trying to fix. Other letters are not on feet or motion.

ON the other hand the Corsair bars are tight. Everything is on feet and motion. So changing out the whole set should do the job. Of course I could just pull the "A" # 2 bar, but then i have a really odd ball machine with a "large a" and small everything else. I have had the Corsair for years, and was happy with it up to this time. I really don't know why it picked NOW to die, but it is slowly going to pot. That ribbon feed problem only goes in one way, and you notice it when typing and the letters are suddenly are cropping off the tops, due to the ribbon stretching. Time to open the unit and rewind part of the spools then it works okay, and that is another problem. That line lever screw breaking off the other night was the final straw, THAT is when i decided to pull the G out of storage and have at it.

I ordered a new ribbon for it and was preparing to stuff that in when I found the broken key bar.  So I guess I have a weekend project to work on.

Not sure why people don't like this series of units, it works fine, yes it feels a bit cheap, but who cares? It produces what I want -- reception reports just fine. Yes I do have a Classic, and it works like a dream, that came out of the old offices of this biz ages ago. It has elite in it and works well, but it looks crowded on an Aerogram. I still haven't got that vibrator problem fixed on that unit, and it is still tossing the ribbon out of the vibrator from time to time. With one color in it, like blue or green, it is not a problem. But with a black - red ribbing you get funny red letters in the middle of black words, then it settles down again and you get all black. I think this was the original reason I bought the Corsair, I just wanted something to type quotes, letters and invoices on with a minimal of problems.

Of course today with the puter - Quickbooks takes care of the invoicing, and MS works takes care of the rest. So it is only for radio work, like handling traffic on a traffic net, or writing reception reports that I use the Corsair anymore. AND I do send out a lot, like 8 per month all over the world. So ... Just trying to fix up a new unit from parts out of an old one which is slowly dying.

Thanks for your responses, and I'll keep ya informed if I go thru with this change out. Right now I have it over at a shop and they are looking into changing out that one bar. I do have the type in the case, and they have it as well so ... we will see. if they can't or won't do the job, I'll bring it back here and do my own rebar job.

The Aerojet

05-8-2016 16:09:45  #6

TypewriterGuy wrote:

TypewriterKing wrote:

As long as you're not trying to stuff pica type bars into an elite type machine, you'll be okay. It looks like you'll be all right since you say that the spacing looks "wider spacing than standard pica." It could be the type style (sans serif?) Anyway, make sure the typebars are identical, as well as the linkages--from what you said, they should be. Now, down to the actual meat-cutting: Take the typebars out of the Super G. There is a curved metal rod that holds them in place, and you'll want to push it the rest of the way. You can use a small screw driver and push it to where it sticks way up on one side, then you can remove it with a pair of pliers. Take care to save all the linkages and remember where they go because a lot of times, they are different sizes from the outer edges towards the middle. The type bars, it isn't as critical to place the type bars in any order since you won't be using them. Now pull the type bars out of the corsair, save the linkages on each type bar as you did the others, but this time lay them out on a table in order from left to right, so you'll know you can place them in the exact order they go in. It's slow, repetitious, and tedious work, but I've done this kind of operation a few times. If both machines are pica, the type bars are the only thing you'll have to change. I remember changing an elite type Underwood Golden Touch to a pica type one. I changed out the type bars, escapement wheel and mechanism, tabulator mechanism, margin stops and mechanism, and front scale.

Oh, thats sounds easier than I thought. But I think they are trying to switch the two...

I was to understand  the typefaces were different between the two typewriters.  Changing just one or two type bars, depending on whether it was a letter, number, or symbol would have a bearing as to how different the replacement type bars would look.  Also, when you only change out just one or two, you risk them not being quite the same height as the other letters.  Though it's been done--I've done it.  But the upshot was that the type style wasn't preferred, and that the replacement type style would have been better.  Anyway, my antennae picked up that he was thinking of replacing all of them.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera