You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-8-2016 01:13:11  #11

Re: Writers: What typewriter do you prefer for your writing?

Thus far, my L.C. Smith No. 8 (either  of them).

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

14-8-2016 04:25:58  #12

John - you've revived an old memory !  I also once put elite type on a pica machine !  When I was about nineteen, I bought a derelict Friden Flexoriter very cheaply in a public auction (no e-bay then !)  It was basically a modified IBM model 'C'.  After removing all the solenoids and switches to convert it back into a typewriter, I also found that I had to change all the typebars too because of the odd characters that it had.  I swopped the complete set from an IBM model 'B' which was elite.  The writing didn't look at all bad when finished, just a little 'spaced out'.  I sold the machine on to a printer who used it for camera-ready typesetting, so he obviously liked it too !

14-8-2016 16:22:42  #13

I wish I could have seen that one!  Now I have a memory of something I once thought impossible, but I was sure glad to find out otherwise:  I am a long admirer of typebar IBM typewriters--trouble was with the C and D models, the motor was just too blamed small.  So I find the only thing good in a Remington electric--its motor--preferably the Robbins and Meyers or Matsushita motors--just the right size.  General Electrics were excellent motors, but they are too big around to fit in the motor well of an IBM.  I've used those to remotor Underwood electric typewriters.  But, I have remotored several IBM machines with Remington motors, and I even used the slightly bigger motors IBM A and B models used--I have one fitted into a model C which is a project typewriter for me--my 1962 model.  I'll let you know how that one comes out.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera