You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-8-2016 15:12:55  #1

Bought my first Adler

I had been pecking at this Adler Special for a long time every time I dropped in at the typewriter shop. What finally made me spring for it was the typeface, which I find gorgeous. I wasn't keen on its looks, but I've warmed up to it rather quickly. It's a unique bird, beautifully engineered. The keys are plastic, but the body is solid. Look at the size of that carriage! I spoke with the typewriter repairman, whom I hold in high esteem, and what I found out convinced me that I had to have it. Would be interested to find out more about Adlers, though.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

16-8-2016 16:04:15  #2

Re: Bought my first Adler

Moved your post from the Portables to the Standards sub-forum. The Special is a nice machine, but then again I'm quite partial to Adler models, and the standards in particular because they are less likely to be found in North America which often makes them must-buy machines.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-8-2016 16:06:03  #3

Nice! I don't know this one. The keys are plastic, but then, that's true of basically all typewriters since the late 40s/early 50s. Is the ribbon cover metal? And what is that key on the right below the margin release -- looks like it says T?

Somewhat reminiscent of the Olympia SG3 -- and I'll bet it weighs around the same, especially with that wide carriage!

16-8-2016 17:21:37  #4

Fleetwing, it's fantastic. Simply can't put it down. The ribbon cover is indeed metal. It's a tank. In retrospect, I'm dumbfounded I didn't buy this earlier. Not exactly cheap at $80, but I didn't flinch: worth every penny.

18-8-2016 18:00:46  #5

Look at that carriage return lever: it's nine inches long! I have bought 20 or so typewriters in the past five months, and I consider this the pinnacle of my collection. That may seem rash--I have two RQD, Olympias SM5 and SM9, several Olivettis, a Hermes 2000 and a beloved Royal KMM---so many more that I love--but this one blows me away. Uwe, I have the serial number and wondered what year it was made. It's 2492361.

18-8-2016 18:06:19  #6

18-8-2016 19:50:52  #7

typeset wrote:

have the serial number and wondered what year it was made.

Late 1970.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-8-2016 22:19:00  #8

T = tab?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

19-8-2016 11:29:20  #9

Adlers are great. I used to have a 1963 two-tone Special, with a more rounded, 50s-styled body shape. It typed like a dream! The typeface was lovely, like this one, and it was pica. But it was huuuge, and I just don;t have space. And you could hear it at the other end of the street. 

Board footera