You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-8-2016 09:05:13  #1

Orange German Karstadt

Could you tell me more about my orange Schreibmaschine?  I'm curious who made it (it's labeled Karstadt, but did they make it?) and a guess on how old it is.

I think it's German based on the keyboard.  
It has the original case, works well, but I've been having a devil of a time getting used to the keys being in a different order.  

18-8-2016 11:01:30  #2

Re: Orange German Karstadt

Karstadt is a German department store and did not manufacture the typewriter, which is a re-branded (private label) Adler (T-A) Tippa S. Based on some of the components I can see in your photo I would guess that it's an early '70s model. The serial number would help to narrow down its year of manufacture.

The keys aren't really in a different order, just the Y and Z positions are swapped on German keyboards. I have many machines with German keyboards and found that if you spend a little time with them you'll quickly get used to the Y being in a different place. If you find that you can't adapt, it is technically possible to have the keys and type slugs swapped to change the layout to the QWERTY configuration that you're used to.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-8-2016 11:44:23  #3

Thanks, Uwe!  

The number on the inside is 5935506.

I'm going to try some more practice to see if I can get used to the keys.  Switching the keys sounds like an interesting solution.  I love mucking about with old machines but before I do, I want to make certain I'm not going to destroy anything of value if I make a mistake.  

Although to be honest, Orange isn't really my colour. It's just the typewriter that presented itself to me.  

19-8-2016 12:41:51  #4

My best guess based on the serial number is that it was manufactured in 1975.

Switching the keys isn't that hard to do, but the slugs will require soldering and some experience. Where in Canada are you? There could be a professional in your area that could help you with this. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-8-2016 13:23:31  #5

It's a little difficult to compare based on your photo, but it might be an Adler Contessa (de luxe).
nice post:  www massmadesoul com/adler-contessa/

Karstadt is a warehouse chain, they don't manufacture stuff themselves, only put their label on it.

19-8-2016 13:33:57  #6

Kuka Koola wrote:

It's a little difficult to compare based on your photo, but it might be an Adler Contessa (de luxe).

It's a Tippa S. As you can see from the photo of my Contessa De Luxe, the case is very different.

21-8-2016 09:44:31  #7

A Tippa S.  Thanks for that.  I thought maybe the label was from a shop, not a manufacturer, but it's really nice to have my suspicions confirmed.  I'm learning so much from you guys.  Thank you.

Here's a picture of my typing.  It has a new ribbon so it's very dark.  I also suspect I'm pressing too hard on the keys, but not hard enough on the space.  Any thoughts on how I can improve my technique?

21-8-2016 09:45:27  #8

Let's see if this makes the picture bigger:

Board footera