You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-8-2016 22:29:59  #1

Remove platen from Underwood 21?

Hi!  New member here.

Has anyone removed the platen from an Underwood 21? I have read the discussion of removing one from an Olivetti Studio 44, which is in most ways identical to the Underwood 21, but the platen design seems different from that on my Studio 44.

I am really fond of the Underwood 21. I am taking two broken Underwood 21s and turning them into one working one. I got the carriage off (no small feat for me- I needed to do it in order to get at its working carriage return/line advance mechanism), but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the left side of the platen to unscrew.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

01-9-2016 04:52:52  #2

Re: Remove platen from Underwood 21?

Okay.  I just saw a picture of one, and it kind of reminds me of an Olivetti Studio typewriter I once had (I am not sure if it was a 44).  But I can tell you that I had to unscrew the left platen knob in the reverse direction because the threads are left-handed--just like the Underwood New Style 150 all the way to the Type-Master machines.  I am sort of half-guessing here, but what I saw was familiar, and I remember I had to unscrew the left-hand platen knob left-handed.  Try it, and let me know how you come out.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-9-2016 21:19:08  #3

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it tonight, but it didn't work. I twisted the left knob against the pressure of the right with no success, and then even got a little wrench onto the spindle and put my whole weight onto it. Nothing.

Any other suggestions from experienced typophiles?

Thanks!

02-9-2016 22:15:02  #4

Oh well, you can't win 'em all.  Wish I had that sucker here--I'd figure it out.

03-9-2016 00:01:45  #5

Ha! yeah, I guess I'm just going to do my best to clean up the platen and just put the whole carriage onto the other typewriter and switch in whatever parts I can get to. I need its line advance mechanism but the rest of it is in bad shape. The other one is in good shape but the metal piece that connects the carriage return arm shaft to whatever ratchets it forward is completely broken. Thanks again for trying to help. Reverse threading was a good idea that didn't occur to me.

03-9-2016 16:16:45  #6

What you may try before removing the entire carriage is to see if there are any setscrews on the shaft anywhere--the platen knob.  You may have to look inside the left carriage panel, though it looks pretty thick.  Also, I'd look on line to see if there are any repair manuals at least addressing the removal of the platen.  Carriage removal--especially if there are loose bearings involved (like in an upright Royal)--is tricky business.  Anyway, try this.  It is a more common way for platens to be fastened in--at least in older typewriters.  Also, if you can unscrew the setscrews that may be in the platen knob, you might see if you can do the same to the right hand side on the platen itself on its shaft.  It may be held in placed by a long rod like old Royal uprights and Royal portables.  Underwood old style (like the number 5) has two short rods on either side, so you have to remove the setscrews on the platen shaft only.  Underwood new styles, including the Touch-Master series, just flip up the sides and life 'er out.  Anyway, try this one other method.  In the meantime, I'm going to see what I can on one of my own Olivettis (it's a Sears disguise, and it's a dinky little thing, but there may be similarities).  Good luck, and if I can get what I find to you before your planned surgery on your machine, I will try to get it to you quickly.

03-9-2016 21:18:13  #7

Thanks!

There are set screws on the right side that allow me to remove the knob from what I'm calling the spindle (the metal rod that goes into the middle of the platen). I have removed the right knob for cleaning. None that I can see on the left, however. The left knob only unscrews partway (prob. because of the line advance ratchet and springloaded button for the ratchet release that lets you roll the platen freely), but even with the left knob unscrewed as much as possible, there isn't much give in the left spindle.Something behind or inside of the ratcheting mechanism seems to be holding it in place. I can't see what.

I have an Olivetti Studio 44, which is almost identical to the Underwood 21 on the inside. Unfortunately, the left spindle just screws out of the platen pretty much as you would expect. It looks different from the one on the Underwood 21, too. Different design. So maybe Olivetti realized that whatever weird design they used for the Underwood 21's platen was a bad idea and did something more user-friendly on the Studio 44. Or maybe the two typewriters were just intended for different kinds of users...

Thanks again for taking the time to talk through this with me. I really appreciate it!

04-9-2016 19:46:23  #8

The Plot Thickens...

In case anyone is still interested:

I looked at another Underwood 21 (Made in Italy) today. The rod that goes from the left knob into the platen screws out counterclockwise - just as you suggested!

However, it looks really different from the Olivetti-Underwood 21 (Made in Spain) that I have been struggling with. Grey metal instead of black. A flat surface around the hole in the platen instead of a kind of raised nipple. Very strange. I'm going to tinker with it a little again tonight and see whether maybe getting some mineral spirits or 3 in 1 oil down into the rim where the spindle goes into the platen loosens it up. I am not hopeful because I really put a LOT of force on it last time. I was actually afraid of snapping off the right handle or warping the platen drum (or whatver you call the metal cylinder that the rubber cylinder goes around).

04-9-2016 23:28:22  #9

I mean clockwise, of course...

04-9-2016 23:33:21  #10

Neither mineral spirits nor 3 in 1 oil did anything. It isn't budging.

To cheer myself up, I spent the rest of the evening cleaning out a very dusty and gummy but otherwise excellent Brother Signature 440T that my lovely wife picked up at a thrift store for $15 the other day. Got it working perfectly and shined up the high-tech "Cycolac" (plastic) so that it looks about as good as new.

Board footera