You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-6-2016 17:58:54  #11

Re: WTB: Ribbons

TypewriterKing wrote:

If a ribbon can do that to your fingers, you'll know it can produce some nice, dark print.

Yes. But is it suitable for all type? I'm aware in the past ribbons came in at least three inkings, though what I did not realize at first is that this may be directed primarily as a compensation for different size fonts than for different tastes in ink saturation on the page. All ribbons I've bought of recent manufacture that I recall have been copiously inked - great thing for a pica machine but not so great for elite. Several times I've noticed when typing a word with repeated letters like "look" that the first o will be empty and the second filled, and if the type drys for a few words you get the same thing. More ink seems like a bargain but maybe not for all uses.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

14-7-2016 17:27:42  #12

True that.  But one thing I can tell you is that if you can get a ribbon that is nice and dark, you can start using it in a larger print machine.  When it starts to fade, you can put it in a smaller print machine, on down the line.  Now, mind you, it's not as accurate as if you got the proper ribbons for the size of print, but given the evident rarity of ribbons and their cost, it has served me pretty well doing it this way.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

11-9-2016 18:39:40  #13

I apologize if this is the wrong forum to submit my questions. 

I don't know anything about typewriters and my grandfather has one he purchased from Sears many many years ago.  It's "The Corrector."  Model number 26853520.  I need someone to point me in the right direction to find the correct ribbon for it.  Currently, I only need a black one. 

Any help and suggestions are much appreciated. 

Thank you

11-9-2016 20:03:25  #14

The "many many years ago," kind of clued me in as to the kind of "Corrector" you might be talking about.  Yours has the "Gullwing" ribbon covers, no?  Yes?  If it does, this machine is a kissing cousin to the Brother Cassette L-10 typewriter.  I have the same machine somewhere in my collection.  Good machines, just freakin' hard to find a ribbon for.  Your best bet is to scour the internet to see if you find something.  Otherwise, you may have to forego the correction function (which you should do anyway, as these tended to shorten the life of the inked part of the ribbon) by slowly prying apart the cassette, paying attention to the way the ribbon was wound in.  Get you some half-inch ribbon from, say, an Epson computer printer cartridge, and rewind it onto the spools.  Put the cassette back together, and you should have a good ribbon that will last you awhile.

11-9-2016 22:51:49  #15

Thank you for your response.  
I'll have to ask my grandpa what ribbon cover is in the machine.  Would you know what the model number of the ribbon? 

11-9-2016 23:50:22  #16

No, I'm afraid not.  About the only thing you can do there, above all else, is to save the old ribbon, show it to an office supply (which would probably be a long shot if you could order one through there, but anything's possible), look around on the computer for one that fits a Sears "Corrector" or Brother Cassette L-10, or find some half-inch nylon ribbon and somehow rewind it into the cartridge you have.  You could call some ribbon companies to see what the model number might be--another long shot, but at least you could see if there is anything still in existence they would still have after about thirty-some-odd years.  Let me know what you find out.

12-9-2016 09:52:29  #17

Thank you again for your help and suggestions.  I'll let you know what I can find. 

06-11-2016 20:38:45  #18

Repartee wrote:

TypewriterKing wrote:

If a ribbon can do that to your fingers, you'll know it can produce some nice, dark print.

Yes. But is it suitable for all type? I'm aware in the past ribbons came in at least three inkings, though what I did not realize at first is that this may be directed primarily as a compensation for different size fonts than for different tastes in ink saturation on the page. All ribbons I've bought of recent manufacture that I recall have been copiously inked - great thing for a pica machine but not so great for elite. Several times I've noticed when typing a word with repeated letters like "look" that the first o will be empty and the second filled, and if the type drys for a few words you get the same thing. More ink seems like a bargain but maybe not for all uses.

To my way of thinking, now that you've said it, is that the darker ribbons may be more suited to larger print, since it takes more ink to produce a letter or character.  The less inky ones would probably work best for smaller prints.  I've run into that.  Also, I have to wonder if there is a similar variation for carbon ribbons as well as fabric ribbons--meaning do some impress darker or lighter, depending on the strength and type size of the machine.

13-1-2022 20:04:49  #19

www.lucasdul.com/ribbons
I currently stock a bunch of metal spools, and the rare cotton red/black.  I'd stay away from Amazon and FJA.  Ribbons Unlimited is great if you need color.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

06-9-2022 14:20:34  #20

Staples wants $ 11 for ribbon on plastic spools...BUT...they are only 8.5 yards long...compared to 18 yards which Ribbons Unlimited sells.

https://www.staples.com/royal-black-red-nylon-typewriter-ribbon-7331525/product_2957670

Board footera