You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-9-2016 05:01:38  #1

An Imperial Good Companion... with green keys?

I like to browse through typewriter Ebay listings quite frequently to occasionally try snap up a machine but mostly to marvel at what's on show. Today, I came across a particularly beautiful Imperial Good Companion, with the seller listing it as very rare due to its green keys. A quick Google search revealed very little information (actually, none whatsoever), so I was wondering if perhaps anybody here knew anything additional about this machine and its peculiar - but very pretty - keys.

Here's a link to the Ebay listing.

Currently the proud owner of...
Imperial 2002     -     Blick Universal     -     Olivetti Lettera 32     -     Hermes Ambassador

Dreaming of...
Hermes 3000     -     Royal Quiet De Luxe     -     Imperial Good Companion    -     Smith Corona Silent-Super     -     Royal FP

13-9-2016 09:23:59  #2

Re: An Imperial Good Companion... with green keys?

I don't know enough about earlier Imperial models to comment on the rarity of green keys. I have seen them before, but whether they are actually "very rare" as the seller states (if you believe the majority of eBay sellers, every typewriter on the planet is rare...), or if it was typical for the model and manufacturing period is a good question. Hopefully thetypewriterman will see this post as I suspect he'll know the answer.

I do agree with you that they look great; hopefully you'll end up with the machine!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-9-2016 15:41:43  #3

I have seen quite a few of these early Good Companions and green keycards are a new one on me too.  Until I saw the photos, I would have said that they had been added retrospectively.  However, I'm sure that they are original.  The machine otherwise looks to be in good condition, with both spool finials still in place (there is usually one missing), so the price is not at all unreasonable.

13-9-2016 15:54:30  #4

thetypewriterman wrote:

...so the price is not at all unreasonable.

It's on auction and the price has been climbing. I'm willing to be that someone will end up overpaying for it...  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-9-2016 19:16:59  #5

Uwe wrote:

...(if you believe the majority of eBay sellers, every typewriter on the planet is rare...)...

This made me smirk a little! The majority of listings I see lists typewriters as very rare... and underneath is five more of the exact same model!

Regardless, this particular one does look to be quite beautiful, though I stopped bidding the same day I posted this. I predict it will go for at least a hundred pounds, considering the auction is already approaching fifty pounds with two days left to spare. I'm still watching it, just out of curiosity!

Imperial 2002     -     Blick Universal     -     Olivetti Lettera 32     -     Hermes Ambassador

Dreaming of...
Hermes 3000     -     Royal Quiet De Luxe     -     Imperial Good Companion    -     Smith Corona Silent-Super     -     Royal FP

15-9-2016 20:09:48  #6

Keep us posted!

18-9-2016 07:12:24  #7

No one wrote what the price was up to at the time the discussion was happening! I just checked, and with 24 minutes left to go it's up to £102. 

18-9-2016 07:16:19  #8

And can I just also say - look at the photo in the listing! It's been shot on what looks like the balcony of someone's flat, high up - brilliant views down over roads and car parks. It's not the usual run of typewriter picture...

18-9-2016 13:22:47  #9

KatLondon wrote:

No one wrote what the price was up to at the time the discussion was happening! I just checked, and with 24 minutes left to go it's up to £102. 

It was £48 the last time I checked, on the 16th! And yes, agreed on the picture! I may copy that idea and take a picture of my new Hermes tomorrow from my own flat balcony, albeit I'm only three floors up so the views are not as nice!

Dreaming of...

19-9-2016 02:37:47  #10

Hmm... Good thinking Mari - my balcony's rather photogenic, as it happens... I've been having bad luck selling a typer or two, maybe I should get them out there while the geraniums are still in bloom! :D

Board footera