You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-9-2016 11:19:49  #1

Coronamatic

Just got a new acquistion, a Coronamatic Coronet 12? model 6ELW.  My wife picked it up for me and this my 1st electric experience other than using a Selectric back in the 70's.  It seems robust, she says it is quiet and has a nice touch on the keys.  It is missing a small part or two, and I've noticed some substituted screws on the case.  I know nothing about these, and I am wondering if it's value makes it worth cleaning and replacing missing parts.

13-9-2016 14:33:47  #2

Re: Coronamatic

It has zero value except what's it's worth to you. But that's something that can be said for a large number of typewriters. Most machines that I clean or repair are not worth the amount of time I invest in them, but that's not the point when it comes to typewriters. It's supposed to be a labour of love, and about enjoying the machine for what it is. The cleaning and repair work should be something that you like doing, and it should give you some personal satisfaction. I'd even argue that you're doing a good thing by preserving one more typewriter for a future generation to enjoy as well.

I assume that you have the regular Coronet 12 that uses standard ribbons and not the Coronet Super 12 that uses special ribbon cartridges that load from the right side of the machine?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-9-2016 20:14:16  #3

This must be the Super 12 as the cartridge loads from the side.  It did come with a box of spares.  I asked the value because some of the others I've rescued or rehabilitated needed the platen replaced or work that was  beyond my skills.  When I go to a shop about 2 hours from me, I get them back like new but the costs were with it.  As it is, it will be a new adventure fer sure.  Thanks for the reply!

14-9-2016 16:48:14  #4

Uwe wrote:

It has zero value except what's it's worth to you. But that's something that can be said for a large number of typewriters. Most machines that I clean or repair are not worth the amount of time I invest in them, but that's not the point when it comes to typewriters. It's supposed to be a labour of love, and about enjoying the machine for what it is. The cleaning and repair work should be something that you like doing, and it should give you some personal satisfaction. I'd even argue that you're doing a good thing by preserving one more typewriter for a future generation to enjoy as well.

I assume that you have the regular Coronet 12 that uses standard ribbons and not the Coronet Super 12 that uses special ribbon cartridges that load from the right side of the machine?

Hear hear!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera