You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-1-2015 19:00:13  #1

Corona #3

I recently acquired a Corona number 3 portable typewriter that's in pretty good condition. It's in need of thorough cleaning and a few of the keys stick. I'm a complete novice at typewriter cleaning and repair, can anyone direct me to some good tutorials or directions? Thanks.

"I commend my soul to any god that can find it!" - Moist von Lipwig, Going Postal

13-9-2016 18:38:21  #2

Re: Corona #3

I know you posted this a long time ago. The complete manual for the Corona 3 is downloadable and it has a page (page 8?) called Oiling Instructions. All the oiling points are pointed out. Surgical spirit and ear swabs for the cleaning, synthetic oil (if you can get it) or sewing machine oil for the oiling.

14-9-2016 16:51:08  #3

Squinancy wrote:

I know you posted this a long time ago. The complete manual for the Corona 3 is downloadable and it has a page (page 8?) called Oiling Instructions. All the oiling points are pointed out. Surgical spirit and ear swabs for the cleaning, synthetic oil (if you can get it) or sewing machine oil for the oiling.

Transmission fluid (Mercon 5 is the best) has always worked for me.  Hadn't had a sticky typewriter yet after having used it.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-9-2016 18:41:15  #4

Squinancy wrote:

Surgical spirit and ear swabs for the cleaning

Mineral spirits, which is specially formulated to clean mechanical parts, and cotton swabs are now the best tool for the job.

Squinancy wrote:

synthetic oil (if you can get it) or sewing machine oil for the oiling.

Sewing machine oil is readily available and perfect for a typewriter, but only after you've properly cleaned it first!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera