You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-9-2016 04:20:09  #1

Remington Ten Forty Sherry Rand Portable

This is my first post, but I'm sure you'll be familiar with the story. It was only meant to be one portable typewriter that worked, just in case the national grid ever collapsed. Now I am on my fourth - this time discovered in someone's loft. I was hoping it was going to be an Olympia SM3. Instead it was a Remington Ten Forty, which I have to admit I'd never heard of. It is cream coloured, filthy but just about in working order. I am currently in the middle of the restoration process. I would like to know more about this model, and there doesn't seem to be much on the web. Are these machines well regarded? Any information gratefully received.

15-9-2016 11:05:25  #2

Re: Remington Ten Forty Sherry Rand Portable

I think the Ten-Forty is a great machine, but then again so are the other Remington portables from that era. My only complaint is with its Italian-made plastic case, which I've found to be on the fragile side and often haven't held up well over the years. If your machine is mechanically sound, and its case in good shape, then it should be a keeper, especially if you like the late '60s - early '70s design period. Given the Commodore in your avatar I'd say that you do.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera