You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-9-2016 13:03:05  #1011

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

And very nice, too. I covet one of those for some reason.

11-9-2016 15:24:14  #1012

KatLondon wrote:

And very nice, too. I covet one of those for some reason.

They are nice typers, and given the all-metal construction during a time when most models were moving to plastic cases, it feels more substantive. I have the Remington Eleven and Monarch models that use the same case, and would nominate them for suitable candidates for your search.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-9-2016 16:22:51  #1013

I have a 1957 version that was made in Holland.  For some reason, if I'm not careful, it skips spaces between letters.  I call it ol' Jumpy.  I have a feeling I may have to re-tension a spring in the escapement mechanism.  Otherwise, it has good print and a good touch, and it is one of the more compact Remington typewriters I've seen.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

17-9-2016 07:57:58  #1014

It's a two-fer!  
Here's a 1922 Remington 10 and a 1923 Remington 12. I've been looking for a 12 ever since this thread, and now I've got one that I can hopefully use for writing the biography of that guy. But it'll take some work to get these up and running, starting with the fact that neither of them have feet! 

17-9-2016 10:12:35  #1015

Nice score.  And if missing feet are your only issue, then you did really well.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-9-2016 00:28:35  #1016

If I had known that I was going to get one of these for free, I might have held off on my last purchase...

Yup, it's an Underwood #4. I came home from marching band practice today to find this sitting on the kitchen floor, and apparently, one of our friends picked it up from the side of the road and gave it to me. Second time this has happened to me and I'm quite pleased. The thing certainly looked like trash on the inside with the most dust I've ever seen in a typewriter. But I blew it out, oiled the right parts, and it's back to typing again (though not very smoothly). But there's still one question I have: why does this one have a backspace lever? On the Davis Typewriter Page there is a catalogue of the different variations of the 3's, 4's, and 5's. I never knew the #4 came with a backspace key  like what's on the #5. But you an clearly see that this one has a lever right next to the margin release. I've tried searching online for a #4 with a lever, but to no avail. And what thickens the mystery, is that one is dated 1909 (one year less than my #5). If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated. It's still a great typewriter, and I might just keep it around.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

18-9-2016 04:07:13  #1017

My latest acquisition is this Olympia SM7.
Although I already have an SM4 in my collection, I was curious to see how the model evolved. And even if the design of the SM7 isn't as good looking as the SM4, it's still elegant. 
In my view, this model types better than the SM4 (although I can't quite put my finger on why). 
I was doubting whether to look for an SM9 or get this one, but I actually like the SM7 design better than the SM9 design. Probably due to the gray 'grill' thing on the front, which gives it a cool look.

18-9-2016 05:17:40  #1018

Schop wrote:

Okay then, if this doesn't work I'm throwing in the towel:

Well it appears as though some else was having trouble with photos also huh, time to change the format idiots

18-9-2016 06:47:15  #1019

Southernphoneman, who you calling idiots? Good grief. Just go somewhere else if you don't like it, nobody's kidnapped you.

18-9-2016 06:51:07  #1020

Fyi, the forum is run on a free platform - meaning Uwe doesn't have to pay for it and he doesn't have to have ads. To make the picture formatting easier would mean that this website would be hosting - that is, holding or storing - all the image files in its database. This would require paying for the server space. 

Or is someone merely setting up and running a whole social website free of charge not good enough for you?

Board footera