You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-9-2016 09:31:23  #1021

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

KatLondon wrote:

Southernphoneman, who you calling idiots? Good grief. Just go somewhere else if you don't like it, nobody's kidnapped you.

Probably you.

18-9-2016 15:09:05  #1022

Southernphoneman wrote:

KatLondon wrote:

Southernphoneman, who you calling idiots? Good grief. Just go somewhere else if you don't like it, nobody's kidnapped you.

Probably you.

In general , you're complaining too much with excessive infantile comments but to be new to this board, it's downright disrespectful . Be kind during your frustrations.

18-9-2016 15:18:05  #1023

igotztowrite wrote:

Southernphoneman wrote:

KatLondon wrote:

Probably you.

In general , you're complaining too much with excessive infantile comments but to be new to this board, it's downright disrespectful . Be kind during your frustrations.

Yup auh ha

18-9-2016 16:14:44  #1024

I think you got it this time, Southernphoneman.  I can see the show now.  I myself own a 1957 model, and just got a hold of a 1954 model with a couple of minor issues.  No hill for a stepper, though.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

18-9-2016 23:53:16  #1025

Thank you, Kat. And igotz. 

The forum has been running for over three years now and during that time I've only had to ban one person. Southernphoneman makes it two. I was extremely patient with him, and explained over and over again how posting photos works - and wasted my time in numerous private messages - but he clearly couldn't grasp the concept. Why anyone would lash out with such anger over such a small issue, especially when someone is trying to help you, will remain a mystery to me.

Anyway, he's gone, and on the bright side it's incidents such as this that serve to remind just how great our little community really is. Thanks to everyone for being a part of it!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-9-2016 04:30:59  #1026

...and thank you, of course.  Always appreciated.
Actually, it's an ambition of mine to be banned from a forum I once contributed to a great deal.  I just stopped using it - couldn't stand the choruses of political correctness many members felt they had to bloat every thread with, or those who couldn't/wouldn't keep their religious beliefs to themselves.  Was thinking of giving them an earful until they banned me - but I didn't; just walked away.  Hmmm :  maybe I'll just pop back there and make it official!  Nah - not that bored tonight.

Sincerely,
beak.

19-9-2016 09:53:24  #1027

Well, this is pretty interesting.  I've never run across one of these before, and as you know they are not mentioned at all in either the rebuild catalog I put on line or in sources I'm aware of.  I can see no illustration of the Underwood in any of my materials at the moment with this style of backspacer.  Well done!  What is the serial number?  

Yours,  Will Davis

ztyper wrote:

If I had known that I was going to get one of these for free, I might have held off on my last purchase...

Yup, it's an Underwood #4. I came home from marching band practice today to find this sitting on the kitchen floor, and apparently, one of our friends picked it up from the side of the road and gave it to me. Second time this has happened to me and I'm quite pleased. The thing certainly looked like trash on the inside with the most dust I've ever seen in a typewriter. But I blew it out, oiled the right parts, and it's back to typing again (though not very smoothly). But there's still one question I have: why does this one have a backspace lever? On the Davis Typewriter Page there is a catalogue of the different variations of the 3's, 4's, and 5's. I never knew the #4 came with a backspace key  like what's on the #5. But you an clearly see that this one has a lever right next to the margin release. I've tried searching online for a #4 with a lever, but to no avail. And what thickens the mystery, is that one is dated 1909 (one year less than my #5). If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated. It's still a great typewriter, and I might just keep it around.

19-9-2016 11:33:15  #1028

I felt very lucky in managing to find this Hermes Ambassador and even more so in being able to snatch it up at a mere £12.50! I don't think the owner knew its worth, which is evident in the cosmetic condition of the machine. I've taken this photo from the best angle of the typewriter. There's an awful lot of faded paint with splatter marks on the right making me wonder if it was left under dripping water (?) as well as rusting in paint scratches. The space bar shell also seems to have gone missing at some point, though the action is in no way compromised itself and I put a little bit of patterned paper around the metal temporarily. Though not the prettiest Hermes Ambassador to still be around, the aesthetic in no way reflects the superior typing action! Very smooth, clear letters, able to keep up with my very fast typing without the keys crashing together, and I'm in love with the typeface! I did clean the typewriter but there's a whole lot of dirt as I believe this was just gathering it in somebody's attic. The serial number tells me it was produced in 1956!

Very happy with my latest addition! The flatmates seem to like it too, which is good considering I intend to be using it heavily. One commented on how 'pretty' it looked and the other mentioned how her typewriter at home (I asked what it was but she had no idea) always had key jams so she was surprised that I could type so quickly without that happening to me.

Currently the proud owner of...
Imperial 2002     -     Blick Universal     -     Olivetti Lettera 32     -     Hermes Ambassador

Dreaming of...
Hermes 3000     -     Royal Quiet De Luxe     -     Imperial Good Companion    -     Smith Corona Silent-Super     -     Royal FP

19-9-2016 12:25:01  #1029

Mari wrote:

the other mentioned how her typewriter at home (I asked what it was but she had no idea) always had key jams so she was surprised that I could type so quickly without that happening to me.

Congratulations on the Ambassador!  

Jamming typebars is an indication of either improper typing technique or a machine that requires servicing. Any properly tuned typewriter should be more than able to keep up fast typists. According to Beeching's book, a world speed typing record was set in 1913 using an Underwood No. 4, which produced an average of 125 words per minute over a one hour period. If a typewriter back then was capable of such performance you can bet that newer models are just as capable.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-9-2016 16:53:10  #1030

@Will Davis

I put the serial number under the thread in the Standard Typewriters space so we don't give Uwe any more trouble by messing up the organization 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera