You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-9-2016 13:16:42  #1

Underwood 194X -- or something

Hey all!

I'd love some assistance in identifying the typewriter I picked up this weekend.  From my research on the database and around the internet, I believe it's a 1945 (or somewhere in there) but can't find a similar serial number (or simply don't understand them!)

It's not in good working condition, though types with enough assistance (standard sticky keys).  Has some other issues, but that's not my main concern -- I'll happily jump into the Maintenance subforum for all that, but figure it might be helpful to actually know for sure what it is first so I may be able to find the answers to my questions before troubling everyone with a new thread!

Here's an album of the old girl if you're interested in more angles.  Unfortunately, I did not include a picture of the sides or back -- let me know if that would be helpful.

Thanks guys!

19-9-2016 13:20:05  #2

Re: Underwood 194X -- or something

Here's the album with additional photos -- main face and serial below.

Last edited by Uwe (19-9-2016 15:58:49)

19-9-2016 15:45:38  #3

It's an Underwood S, and 1945 is probably around right. Basic cleaning techniques should get it back to working order. As for the part that you found, it's an anchor for the screw on the far right of where the margin scale is. Just hold it up ad screw it back in.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

19-9-2016 16:22:33  #4

It was manufactured during the second half of 1942.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-9-2016 16:53:55  #5

ztyper wrote:

It's an Underwood S, and 1945 is probably around right. Basic cleaning techniques should get it back to working order. As for the part that you found, it's an anchor for the screw on the far right of where the margin scale is. Just hold it up ad screw it back in.

Oh, perfect.  That's probably why that screw on the right is loose.  I've been trying to track down information on how to remove the carriage/top to get into the meat of the beast and am coming up short on this model -- the search continues!

Uwe, thank you for the information.  It is clear to me that I have no clue how to read serial numbers!  Thanks for the help.

Thanks!

Board footera