You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-9-2016 11:19:49  #1

IBM Model D conundrum..

As I readied letting go of the IBM Model D this weekend, the drive belt raced ahead and snapped.

It typed, but for a few sluggish characters which almost, yet only struck the paper (- , ;  some vowels) when the heaviest personal touch was set (inside the case). The typeface is Artisan 12 pitch and it uses a carbon ribbon.

I wish a warm home for the machine, but afraid no one locally will accept this inoperable, leaden typewriter. Shall I place extra effort because of its typeface or is that element insignificant? Fretting it's potential trash and can't face this, yet I need use of its immense, standard space. Suggestions are welcome, your opinions please?

It's tough saying goodbye.

p.s. Unwilling to make another space for a parts donor machine.

25-9-2016 11:40:12  #2

Re: IBM Model D conundrum..

Anybody know the belt designation? Looked at available standard synchronous timing belts and didn't find the needed pitch, imperial or metric. Thanks!

25-9-2016 14:06:29  #3

I just picked up an Executive Model D yesterday but haven't yet pulled it out of the car as I have to clear a space for it first, so I appreciate your woes. I'm moving in the opposite direction to you which is to complete a collection of the IBM models from the Electromatic to the Selectric III. They're all wonderful machines, but they take up a lot of real estate.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-9-2016 16:08:39  #4

Uwe wrote:

I just picked up an Executive Model D yesterday but haven't yet pulled it out of the car as I have to clear a space for it first, so I appreciate your woes. I'm moving in the opposite direction to you which is to complete a collection of the IBM models from the Electromatic to the Selectric III. They're all wonderful machines, but they take up a lot of real estate.

Is it 32 or 36-pitch?  What type face does it have on it?  I know these are proportional spacing machines, and almost certainly yours would be a carbon ribbon only typewriter.  I've got a 1962 IBM Executive model C as a project machine (if only I could get around to it).  It has a 36-pitch double-case Copperplate Gothic type style (Trust me, you'd hate it).  It also has two detachable type bars, and it is a model 41 instead of a 41C, which makes it a custom typewriter.  I read the carbon ribbon on it, and the last owner was a preacher (whom I found out later was deceased, so I couldn't ask him any questions about it).  But I wonder just what use would a person have for a dual-case gothic typewriter with s 20" carriage, and detachable typebars?  Good luck on your typewriter.  You're going to have lots of fun with it!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera