You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-10-2016 21:42:34  #1

Royal All-American

Hello, all. I have an introductory post up in that thread.

I'd like to figure out as much as I can about my Royal All-American, serial No. M-4975737 (I think). From what I've seen online it looks like it's a catalogue re-issue sans many of the higher-end features of the Futura from which it takes its body. Does anyone have one of these or know where it came from?

I'm also wondering about the quality of catalogue re-issues in general as my All-American requires a light touch in order to keep the carriage from skipping. Is that a thing? Are re-issues sketchy on quality?

Any information, as always, will be much appreciated.  

I'd love to post pictures, but I can't include links until I make another post, so someone ask me a question or something.

02-10-2016 21:44:12  #2

Re: Royal All-American

Never mind about the question, heh.

Last edited by Uwe (02-10-2016 21:56:03)

02-10-2016 21:50:01  #3

Okay, I don't know why those links are bad (or how to delete a post, clearly) but I'll try to get some photos up  in a second.

02-10-2016 21:58:46  #4

Hi, and welcome to the forum. It looks like I was fixing your previous post as you were creating a new post with correct links, so I deleted the new post which ended up being a duplicate.

Back to your original post, what do you mean by a "catalogue re-issue"?

Myshkin wrote:

Okay, I don't know... how to delete a post...

You can't delete posts - it would only create havoc here if someone started deleting older posts.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-10-2016 22:08:46  #5

Thanks for your help and I apologize for creating so much work for you with my second post. I'm not off to a good start.
I'm beginning to hope this isn't a case of bad internet information. This is where I got the idea:
http://sevenels.net/typewriters/catalog.htm

02-10-2016 23:43:08  #6

Dang, I know that store, it is local. Didn't realize they ever sold typewriters!
Noticed that you are local too ,Myshkin!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

02-10-2016 23:59:13  #7

I didn't expect to meet another local so soon, colrehogan. I'm actually in Belleville but thought that would be a little too specific for most people. Do you know of any typewriter shops or any other local establishment that may be of interest to a fellow enthusiast?

Oh, and that thing I said in my introductory post about estate auctions, disregard that. I don't need more local competition.

03-10-2016 10:42:25  #8

Myshkin wrote:

I'm beginning to hope this isn't a case of bad internet information. This is where I got the idea:

Ah, okay, we're talking about private label manufacturing, which was fairly common back then, and even more common now. 

Myshkin wrote:

I'm also wondering about the quality of catalogue re-issues in general as my All-American requires a light touch in order to keep the carriage from skipping. Is that a thing? Are re-issues sketchy on quality?

Private label models, at least those manufactured by the major typewriter brands, are not inferior in any way. They are often absolutely identical to the machines sold under the manufacturer's name. In some cases they may have a slightly different feature set, or even more common, just a different colourway to prevent it from being price-compared with its manufacturer-branded counterpart.

If your carriage is skipping it's most likely that the typewriter's escapement mechanism needs some attention. I don't want to sidetrack the discussion of your typewriter model, so please refer to the Maintenance & Repairs sub-forum; you can find numerous threads there that discuss this issue and give recommendations on how to repair it.

As to whether or not your ca. 1962 Royal is a private label model, I don't think that it was because I haven't come across evidence yet that proves it was only sold through one specific retailer. What I do know is that the machine sold for quite a bit less than the Futura 800, which makes sense given it's a more basic model. My guess would be that Royal marketed the model as a budget-friendly version of the Futura, something that the company had done with all of its previous portable models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-10-2016 17:30:28  #9

Wow, I'm clearly in the right place. Thank you for your time and the knowledge. I look forward to learning even more from you, and I hope to eventually contribute something of value myself.

03-10-2016 21:58:45  #10

Myshkin wrote:

I didn't expect to meet another local so soon, colrehogan. I'm actually in Belleville but thought that would be a little too specific for most people. Do you know of any typewriter shops or any other local establishment that may be of interest to a fellow enthusiast?

Oh, and that thing I said in my introductory post about estate auctions, disregard that. I don't need more local competition.

I have too many typewriters as it is.  I'm not really looking to add anymore, unless a German one comes along at a decent price.

I know of Jones Typewriter (they know me too well!) but have helped to get my machines up and going.  We should do a type-in sometime!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera