You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-10-2016 08:37:40  #1041

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

That is really nice, I must say.

03-10-2016 11:08:47  #1042

I'm curious as to its serial number. I have one of its predecessors, an AEG Model 3, and have to say that I wouldn't hesitate to add a Model 8 to my collection. 

It's perhaps off topic, but I'm wondering why the depth of field in your photos is so small because it makes the Olympia almost appear to be a miniature model. Were you using some 'artistic' preset on your digital camera, or a very fast lense?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-10-2016 11:33:11  #1043

Uwe wrote:

I'm curious as to its serial number.

So am I! I've looked all over, high and low, and I can't find the damned thing. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out where they might have put it, but I've drawn a blank. I'm assuming it's a later Model 8 since it has plastic keys. I've seen some Model 8's with glass keys.

Can anyone help me locate the serial number?

Uwe wrote:

It's perhaps off topic, but I'm wondering why the depth of field in your photos is so small because it makes the Olympia almost appear to be a miniature model. Were you using some 'artistic' preset on your digital camera, or a very fast lense?

Oh indeed, this Olympia is by no means a "miniature" model. The thing weighs a ton! As for the photos, it was a combination of a wide aperture, 50mm focal length, and the full-frame sensor on my new Nikon. The light was dying, so I grabbed my fastest lens and sacrificed depth of field to get the well-exposed shots I wanted.

03-10-2016 12:12:36  #1044

I like the depth of field; it lends an almost jewel-like quality to the machine, IMO.  And a jewel it surely is!  That Olympia looks lovely.

This is my newest machine, a nice baby blue SC Sterling:

03-10-2016 12:21:21  #1045

tojeem wrote:

Can anyone help me locate the serial number?

From memory, at least on earlier models, it should be located on the back of the typewriter, dead center, stamped on the top of the bottom part of the frame that surrounds the machine. It's a spot that can easily get packed with dirt and rust, so you may need to wipe the area down to see it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-10-2016 13:07:49  #1046

Your memory is impeccable, Uwe. It was exactly where you said, and yes, it was masked by a thin layer of dust.

The serial number is 816250, which according to the Typewriter Database, places the manufacture date at 1948. A late model, it would seem.

Thanks for your help!

03-10-2016 13:12:53  #1047

tojeem, how does the ribbon get loaded into the Olympia?  It looks like it has to so some twisting as it goes up and over the top of the machine?

03-10-2016 13:32:26  #1048

Ampelmann wrote:

tojeem, how does the ribbon get loaded into the Olympia?  It looks like it has to so some twisting as it goes up and over the top of the machine?

Elementary, my dear Ampelmann. There's a hook at either end which flips the ribbon 90 degrees. They're covered by little moveable flaps, so the mechanism is not very conspicuous at first sight.

You know, I've been wondering where I've seen your lovely Smith-Corona Sterling before. The baby blue with white keys and white platen knobs was very familiar, and the "draped marzipan" look reminded me of something I couldn't quite place.

Then it hit me.

On my 21st, my family made me a typewriter-themed birthday cake. Do you think they might've used your Sterling as inspiration?

03-10-2016 16:47:28  #1049

tojeem wrote:

Then it hit me.

I hope it didn't hit you - sounds like it would be painful.

But that's a cool cake!  I'm definitely jealous, was it as tasty as is looks?  I can definitely see the resemblance between it and my Sterling.  Now you've given me an idea of what type of cake to ask for on my next birthday.

04-10-2016 06:22:18  #1050

Ampelmann wrote:

was it as tasty as is looks?

It was tasty but unnerving. There's something Freudian about eating one's own typewriters...

Board footera