You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-8-2016 10:25:54  #1

Your Typewriter Story

At some point, all of us must have begun to have an interest in typewriters enough to start building a collection. I'm curious to hear everybody's stories.

My own, I believe, began with a toy Barbie typewriter, of all things. If memory serves me well, I received it as a present and typed so much the flimsy ribbon died on me within a matter of weeks. Replacements for those, I believe, are notorious for being hard to find, and my child self yearned for a real typewriter shortly after. It was only two years ago, in 2014, that I discovered the internet. Previously I'd been lead to believe that typewriters weren't something you could find anymore. They were relics, machines of time periods that were well out of my reach anymore. Even if I could find a machine, they didn't manufacture ribbons any longer. My first Google search proved that wrong, and I started my collection off with an Imperial 2002 that I bought for £5 from the British Heart Foundation. I just received my third machine today (technically fourth though I gave the electronic Panasonic to my sister as I never use it) and I know that my collection will only continue to grow, albeit slowly due to a lack of money as I'm a student. Regardless, I scour Ebay frequently and cannot guarantee I'll be able to resist if something pops up that I am desperately searching for!

Currently the proud owner of...
Imperial 2002     -     Blick Universal     -     Olivetti Lettera 32     -     Hermes Ambassador

Dreaming of...
Hermes 3000     -     Royal Quiet De Luxe     -     Imperial Good Companion    -     Smith Corona Silent-Super     -     Royal FP

26-8-2016 11:33:18  #2

Re: Your Typewriter Story

Hello Mari - and a belated welcome.
Of all the complicated reasons why, the one that lasts, and is always uppermost, is the atmosphere of quiet and concentration that the TW gives me.  My computer always seems to be urging me to; "Get on with it! - you're wasting power!  My battery's running down!"  and to distract me; "Perhaps you should check your e-mails? - it has been ten minutes, and something important may have cone inAND what about those photos you took this morning - you need to edit those - they're only a click away..."

But the TW asks nothing and says nothing, it just waits, silently.

Writing on the computer can turn into a massive editing session, but with the TW, if it's wrong, you rewrite rather than edit, and so I find the rewriting often fresher and better than the piece which is just a mass of patching up.

I still have a score of very nice machines here, but I'm not really a collector - just a user who's been trying to find the best machine for me.  And I think I have!

Sincerely,
beak.

27-8-2016 13:40:46  #3

Welcome Mari! You've discovered an addiction   The internet definitely is a place to start.  There are all sorts of collector's sites and information. Ebay is a good place to find stuff, determine value, and maybe a few parts, but it can be very dicey when buying a machine.  Shipping is a huge problem because no matter how clear you can be on being safe, and even willing to front the extra cost for extra care, there's always the one who is clueless, and many typewriters have suffered damage. The last one I bought on Ebay was a Hermes, and the gal assured me the extra care. Styrofoam and newsprint in a single wall cardboard box can only go so far. On the screen it was in mint condition. When I got it, the case was dented, distorted, the carriage bail was bent as well as the carriage return arm,  the knobs broken off. .  The seller was heartsick, but even with reimbursement it was still a loss of a good machine at a good price.  Across the pond here we have swapmeets and shows for vintage stuff.. Usually they're specific, but I've found a good Corona portable at a car and truck swapmeet.  Perhaps some local typists can help you locate an old school repair shop to keep your collection in shape. For me the fun is patience, and out of seemingly nowhere a real gem pops up. Sometimes I cruise the local want ads such as craigslist, and another one appears.  Then I hear about a repair shop, it's 2 hours away, but I find it's worth the 4 hour trip as the guy is amazing. They are far and few between now, but they're out there.  Good Luck and thanks for posting!!

18-9-2016 16:37:17  #4

Boy!!  I'm going to have to go a little bit farther back to just before water got invented.  I'll try.  I know this is an older post, but I do have a story:  It happened when I was eleven years old, and it was my sister's tenth birthday.  I don't know who gave it to her, or if she wanted it for her birthday, but she got a toy typewriter, a Buddy L, I think.  I was jealous.  I wanted one of my own.  So Maw said I could type on hers.  I did for a time, and pretty soon, I got to tinkering with it, and had it apart on her desk.  She didn't like that typewriter much, it was one of those Royal Princess MC models (the only one with the plastic carriage lever, I broke that off by accident one time).  She intensely disliked that typewriter, but it was all she had.  Needless to say, she was more than a little sore about it.  A year later, she got an older Royal--a KMM 1948 model (I still have it).  I used that one pretty good, but kept it together.  I then got a Royal Quiet DeLuxe 1958 model, then a 1946 or 1947 Remington, then a 1940 Underwood Master, and pretty soon, I was amassing an armada of typewriters.  To say that I had gotten bitten by the typewriter bug is like saying a blind man can't see very well.  Those little suckers were munchin' on me HAARD!  I still got teethmarks in my nostrils.   It wasn't too long before I was even trying out different typewriters on Maw, trying to find one she would like the best.  She like a 1959 Underwood Touch-Master II someone gave me.  It was her very last typewriter, rest her soul (I still have that one too).  I don't find typewriters as often as I used to, but I sure got alot of stories to tell.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

21-9-2016 06:00:31  #5

Here´s my story:
The first typewriter I saw as at my grandfather´s office, an Olivetti Linea 98. For me it was a weird toy, I found it fun to type some silly stories on it. Then when I was 11 a good friend gave me a Nakajima ALL 8000 as a gift. In theory it should be useful at school, but in the end I used it very little and my grandfather after retiring decided he preferred the Nakajima instead of the bulky Linea 98.

So far, no interest at all in typewriters.

But then, like 15 years after my girlfriend´s grandfather passed away, and no one knew what to do with a Lettera 32 he had used for a lot of years. It was "useless", but I felt it was wrong to send it to the junkyard. I decided to keep it and maybe I´d give it some use. And that´s when I was bitten. During those 15 years I started to write, and I tried it on that little machine. What a huuuuuuge difference. Somehow the typewriter makes me feel way better, more comfortable. In addition to the pleasure of the action, I started learning more abot mechanics, and then about typewriter history. And that was it. First I rescued my grandfather´s Linea 98 from oblivion, and then I started hunting everywhere I could.

As for now, my girlfriend complains about the little army of typewriters at home and how they keep piling up.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

21-9-2016 06:05:40  #6

She should try using them, and see what happens!

26-9-2016 00:54:38  #7

My Dad had an Empire Aristocrat portable that I used to love to use when I was a child (1960s). My sister has this now and lets her children play with it. They don't seem to be as careful as I was!
My own typewriter is a Silver Reed 100 in 1970's orange. This was my 18th birthday present at cost £39.96.
I haven't used it for years but dug it out the other day to complete a form and to type some labels. The carriage doesn't always latch in place, then a screw fell out! I worked out where it came from and put it back tightening up a number of others as well. The carriage is improved but not perfect. I've also done some cleaning.

I often see old typewriters at auction and have been drawn to them. I'm there to buy fountain pens to repair but the typewriters are speaking to me.... I might buy one for fun.

28-9-2016 17:41:17  #8

Javi wrote:

Here´s my story:
The first typewriter I saw as at my grandfather´s office, an Olivetti Linea 98. For me it was a weird toy, I found it fun to type some silly stories on it. Then when I was 11 a good friend gave me a Nakajima ALL 8000 as a gift. In theory it should be useful at school, but in the end I used it very little and my grandfather after retiring decided he preferred the Nakajima instead of the bulky Linea 98.

So far, no interest at all in typewriters.

But then, like 15 years after my girlfriend´s grandfather passed away, and no one knew what to do with a Lettera 32 he had used for a lot of years. It was "useless", but I felt it was wrong to send it to the junkyard. I decided to keep it and maybe I´d give it some use. And that´s when I was bitten. During those 15 years I started to write, and I tried it on that little machine. What a huuuuuuge difference. Somehow the typewriter makes me feel way better, more comfortable. In addition to the pleasure of the action, I started learning more abot mechanics, and then about typewriter history. And that was it. First I rescued my grandfather´s Linea 98 from oblivion, and then I started hunting everywhere I could.

As for now, my girlfriend complains about the little army of typewriters at home and how they keep piling up.

Careful, it's from those little small armies that larger armies grow.  I think I have a little over an entire company's worth, or a platoon.  Maybe a squadron.  What does 75 to 100 constitute?

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

07-10-2016 15:41:10  #9

Very nice idea.  As a child I went to bed listening to my dad type up his stencils for his history classes the next day.  The tap-tap-tap of the keys lulled me to sleep many a night. In college we had no computers and the typewriter was essential. Oh the hours of typing on my Smith-Corona.  Jumped right to computers, used them for the last 25 years and suddenly realized what my life was missing.  No more computers, just 4 Olympia SM deluxes and two Underwoods.  Letters when I wish to correspond and a journal done in type.

11-10-2016 06:21:14  #10

TypewriterKing wrote:

Careful, it's from those little small armies that larger armies grow. I think I have a little over an entire company's worth, or a platoon. Maybe a squadron. What does 75 to 100 constitute?

Indeed it´s grown larger. So large that today it´s hit the 140 mark. More than enough to invade my house

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera