You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-10-2016 12:57:20  #101

Re: SG Owners Club

Darn. Would have loved to read that article, but it requires signing up to the Wall Street Journal. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-10-2016 14:35:36  #102

I was afraid of that -- you can sort of click on the picture to see the SG, but it won't open the article. The crux of it from our standpoint is what you can see -- just that she bought the machine secondhand for $20; has used it for writing all her books; and she's suspicious of computers. The rest of the piece is a description of her other "favorite things" -- but the SG1 was accorded pride of place.

10-10-2016 17:39:14  #103

Can't say that I've read anything by Ms. Steele, but one author that I really like was also a SG1 user. Although William S. Burroughs didn't exclusively use an Olympia (like many writers he used a number of different models throughout his life), this photo of Burroughs with Joe Strummer is one of my favorites that feature the Olympia standard.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-11-2016 17:48:57  #104

I love mine: by far my favorite standard. It was also one of my first repair jobs. 

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

22-11-2016 13:17:40  #105

I own this machine (sg3???).

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/47/1479834349-sam-4553.jpg

Can I integrate the club?

22-11-2016 14:10:01  #106

Definitely a SG3, Tony. 

Welcome to the club! 

22-11-2016 16:42:46  #107

Thanks!

I was almost sure. I had seen photos here and on typewriterdatabase but since I am beginner I wanted confirmation.

It is a great machine in very good condition. I have a lot of question on this.
:-)

22-11-2016 17:23:05  #108

I found manuals but is there a site or a detailed file on this machine?
On mechanics with pictures.....

Small tricks to use functions (like injector). 
I am a beginner. I grew up with computers. Everyone knows how to copy and paste.
Using a machine is a skill that is lost. 
I already use my typewriters but by discovering by myself and on the web .
(ok understood, no wd40 for cleaning... The biggest cause of dispute on the forums )

I saw videos on different machines to properly place the sheets, change the ribbons and some basic stuff but I'm sure I missed a lot of tricks.

An example for SG3 when I put a sheet this one does not remain completely aligned. I do not know if this is normal (I think not of course). It happens that it climbs on the stop on the left. I can put a picture.

Another example, 2 days after buying the sg3 I removed the carriage to see under it if it was dirty. Unfortunately when I handed it back the belt attached to the main spring pulled out. I handed it over as I could. It works well but when I press to make a tabulation the carriage moves more slowly than when I press the release carriage release. I have no point of comparison. So I don't know if that's normal.
How to tighten the main spring?
In which direction to turn the spring?
No photo or clear video of the bowels of the beast with explanation on the web.

To summarize is there a beginner's guide (quite complete) with tricks for typewriters? (Making table, drawing lines, saving time writing, best ribbon ...)
Is there a guide for SGs? How to disassemble it, clean it, use the functions ...

If you do not understand what I mean, there is no problem. I will try to be clearer and change my translator.

22-11-2016 18:44:49  #109

tony02 wrote:

I found manuals but is there a site or a detailed file on this machine? On mechanics with pictures....

You mean a service manual, perhaps? I've not seen one online for the SG3, but I know that they existed. I keep meaning to visit an Olympia technician that lives in my area who might have one. I'll ask.

tony02 wrote:

Small tricks to use functions (like injector). 

The paper injector is fairly straightforward. Adjust the dial on the left of it to determine how far the page will be injected, place the page so it rests against the back of the platen, and then pull the handle. It's also handy if you're typing a number of pages that you want equal spacing between things such as sections or chapters as you can use the injector to automatically move the page the determined distance.

tony02 wrote:

(ok understood, no wd40 for cleaning...  

Use mineral spirits (Lösungsbenzin) for cleaning mechanical parts, a mild, general purpose cleaner for painted parts, and rubber rejuvenator (Walzenreiniger Produkten - noch einer) for the platen, and you'll be fine.

tony02 wrote:

An example for SG3 when I put a sheet this one does not remain completely aligned.

There are a number of things that can cause this, but I would start by properly cleaning the platen and feed rollers (the small rollers under the platen that grip and feed the paper).

tony02 wrote:

...when I press to make a tabulation the carriage moves more slowly than when I press the release carriage release. I have no point of comparison. So I don't know if that's normal.

I would have to check a SG3 to make sure it has one, but the SG1 uses a tabulator brake mechanism to slow the carriage from crashing into a tab stop, so it is normal for it to move a little slower. If it is really slow then there might be a problem with this mechanism, or you might not have enough tension on the mainspring (there should be a lever on the side of the mainspring drum that you use to adjust the tension). However, there could be other reasons as well, but an in depth discussion of this issue should be continued in a different thread within the Maintenance and Repairs sub-forum.

tony02 wrote:

To summarize is there a beginner's guide (quite complete) with tricks for typewriters? (Making table, drawing lines, saving time writing, best ribbon ...)

There are many such guides available. I would suggest looking on eBay for books such as these.

23-11-2016 08:45:25  #110

Yes, I speak about a service manual because I already found the user manual. I search one with pictures and some details.

I had understood the principle of the injector but I was wondering if there was a trick to put several sheets to draw only one at a time (like a printer). I do not know if the sg can do this (even with a trick) or if even another typewriter is able to do that.
In any case, the injector is a superb invention. (For the novels, the scriptwriting, the index cards etc ...)

For cleaning, I used for my lettera:
-mineral spirit
-oil "ballistol" (the brands of oil recommended in the usa are not sold in europe or are very expensive, more than a typewriter sometimes)

I did not know what to put on the platen. I missed this information. Thank you.

I will soon clean the sg that is why I was looking for a service manual. I would take pictures before in case I remove something by mistake.
This may solve the problem of paper alignment.
I will look for the lever for the main spring and if I don't find I will post in the repair forum.

You're right I'll look at the books for a beginner's guide.
There are no posts in this forum?

A great beginner's guide would be nice. Obviously it takes time.
I am looking for but the good info is in differentes places.

For example this morning I did not know that a backing sheet had to be used...
I own a lot of carbon Ribbon for sm8 et 9 I will post about that....

Everything is new. I feel like I have bought a delorean and discovered a new world (the old one).

Many people here seem to have a good knowledge of the typewriters. My questions may seem may be stupid but it is necessary to think of the succession.
:-)

Board footera