You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-9-2016 20:15:04  #1

Going rate for an upstroke typewriter?

I know this is horribly subjective--but there's a guy with a yard sale this weekend advertising a Remington Standard 7 for $100. One grainy photo shows that it's not in great shape--needs new feet and lord knows what else, but it appears to be all there (or maybe its just wishful thinking that it's in better shape than it really is). http://southjersey.craigslist.org/gms/5777846452.html I'm wondering if I should spring for it, even though I've never spent more than $50 for an antique typewriter. (Money's tight.) It's probably the first I've seen in the Mid-Atlantic region in at least two years. Any thoughts?

16-9-2016 07:12:56  #2

Re: Going rate for an upstroke typewriter?

If it looks bad in photos it's usually a lot worse in person. Your $50 cut-off point is a good one, and that's normally my cap too, but sometimes you do have to pay more if you really want something that you don't see too often. I'd suggest going to look at it, and then start listing off all the things that are wrong with the machine while you're looking at it before making an offer that you feel comfortable with. And if the seller doesn't agree, leave the restoration project for someone else to deal with; it's unlikely that you'll regret your decision, because most of us tend to remember the machines that we overpaid for than the ones that were bargains. Good luck! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-9-2016 10:27:37  #3

I paid $50 for my Remington 6 in much better condition.
The spacebar appears to be missing on this typewriter.
Definitely not worth $100. 

My blog - Just Typewriters

16-9-2016 14:47:45  #4

All good advice. Thanks, everyone! I think I'll take a pass this time around. 

16-9-2016 15:44:10  #5

Hopefully it ends up in the right hands and doesn't get scrapped. Machines like that are worth buying for $5 to $20 just to have the parts, or as a renovation project if you enjoy that kind of work. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-10-2016 12:51:48  #6

Quick follow-up in my search for an upstroke typewriter. 
I put in an offer on this typewriter (we'll see if the owner accepts). 
Can anyone tell me what it is?
https://cnj.craigslist.org/hsh/5832182932.html 

17-10-2016 13:17:53  #7

Caligraph 2
Answered my own question. Never mind!

17-10-2016 13:23:22  #8

Looks like a Caligraph, but I'm not all that familiar with early models.

19-10-2016 18:11:43  #9

If I were a gamblin' man, I would say that the hundred dollars they're asking for such a machine would be a bargain--especially as time advances and as the machine gets older--provided it's still in as good a shape.  Typewriters are considerably rarer these days.  I can remember a time when five dollars was all that was needed to purchase a machine from the Goodwill As-Is Yard or the flea markets.  Those days are now sadly gone, but I can remember the fun I had.  To get a typewriter like this added to my collection, if I had the money--Heck yeah!!!  I'd pay it!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

20-10-2016 16:38:27  #10

I was going to pass on this Caligraph. But now I'm reconsidering. Oh, why doesn't money grow on trees?!

Board footera