You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-10-2016 08:49:08  #541

Re: New Member Thread

Hi, I'm Stuart. I'm 48 and live in the UK. I'm old enough to recall the tail end of the age of typewriters: my big sister was given a toy 'Petite' typewriter as a gift one Christmas, and I recall playing with that as a youngster. And I remember doing a couple of typing lessons on some big old standard machine at school in the early '80s, but, by that time, computers were already beginning to take over, and I was an enthusiast for all things digital. I only caught the typewriter bug relatively recently. A few years ago, on reading about the end of typewriter manufacture in the UK, it occurred to me that I should get one & try it for size.I'd already become newly-enamoured of other pre-digital technologies: film cameras, vinyl LPs, fountain pens & what not. My first purchase was a 1961 Underwood Touch-Master Five: an impressive contraption; but I only got a few months' use out of it before trouble with the ribbon reverse prompted some haplessly botched tinkering on my part which only made things worse. I put it aside, and at length parted company with it. Then, about a year ago, I caught sight of an Olympia portable in a local junk-shop, and brought that home with me. It was, I learned, an SM5, and it worked beautifully. Since then, I've made a start at a small-time collection, with five machines to my name so far. My latest acquisition was an Invicta portable dating from 1949 or so. I greatly enjoy using them all for writing letters to friends & family. Cheers,Stuart / misteraitch

28-10-2016 09:54:48  #542

Hello and welcome, Stuart.
Well, you've made a damn fine start by acquiring an Olympia!

Sincerely,
beak.

28-10-2016 14:07:56  #543

Welcome Stuart! 🎞🎞🎞

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

29-10-2016 03:54:10  #544

misteraitch wrote:

I'd already become newly-enamoured of other pre-digital technologies: film cameras, vinyl LPs, fountain pens & what not.

Welcome, Stuart! Is that a Graflex Crown Graphic I spot in your display picture?

I've found many old tools like film cameras, fountain pens and typewriters have a similar attraction. You'll find we have several photography and vinyl buffs here, too. And if you're interested, there's also a fountain pen thread in the Off-Topic section, although it may need dusting off (it's been a while since anyone posted there).

29-10-2016 08:36:30  #545

tojeem wrote:

Is that a Graflex Crown Graphic I spot in your display picture?

Yes indeed! Although I confess that I haven't used it a great deal: I think I bit off more than I could chew attempting large-format photography... I do enjoy using medium-format cameras though, especially TLRs, and 35mm SLR cameras too.

15-11-2016 12:25:08  #546

Why Hello Friends! Im Raschelle (Ray-Shell) I live in a small town outside of Houston Texas.
My love of typewriters started at an early age I had a sears typewriter when i was 12 that my nana gave me but at that time you couldn't just order a ribbon offline. yaay for modern conveniences. I played with it for a few years but my parents eventually gave it a way and i havent had one since. Although i have been searching. not much to find around these parts unfortunately 

I am an aspiring writer and blogger, but i just prefer paper to technology. I sold my ereader very soon after getting it because i feel a disconnection from the word when its not paper. Strange I know.

All that to say i am very new to type writers I literally bought one  Saturday november 12. Its an Olympia Deluxe SM9 and its in fabulous condition. I paid 50$ at an antique mall it looks very well taken care of or possibly restored it even had a relatively new ribbon in it. the case is in great shape as well.
its funny I had my heart set on a smith corona for Christmas. but I saw this little guy in the corner of my eye and i knew i was meant to take him home.

This is my first typewriter.

And now that you dont have to be perfect, you can be good  - John Steinbeck
http://www.theaccidentalscribe.com/

22-11-2016 12:02:15  #547

Hello,
I'm Tony and I live in France. I will try to remember my English lessons to talk with you.

I bought a typewriter because it’s a distraction-free tool only. I had never touched (I'm 32 years old)
I bought first an olivetti lettera 32. I was immediately impressed by the intelligence of the engineer who made it. I thought about the Swiss watch and the clocks. So I started to get interested in it on the web. I bought a second machine (probably an olympia sg3).
Then 2 other (sm 8 and 9) I will put pictures to have your confirmation. I found an optima and a royal but I will wait to buy them. I only have 2 hands…
Regarding the primary purpose, writing is all I had dreamed of ... Only the writing and the pleasure of typing on the keys. See a text come to life before its eyes.
I was looking for a useful object and discovered fascinating machines. May be the beginning of a passion.

22-11-2016 12:27:45  #548

Welcome to the forum, Tony!

It sounds like your passion for typewriters is already in full bloom. Looking forward to seeing photos of you machines.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-11-2016 13:04:58  #549

AccidentalScribe wrote:

Why Hello Friends! Im Raschelle (Ray-Shell) I live in a small town outside of Houston Texas.
My love of typewriters started at an early age I had a sears typewriter when i was 12 that my nana gave me but at that time you couldn't just order a ribbon offline. yaay for modern conveniences. I played with it for a few years but my parents eventually gave it a way and i havent had one since. Although i have been searching. not much to find around these parts unfortunately 

I am an aspiring writer and blogger, but i just prefer paper to technology. I sold my ereader very soon after getting it because i feel a disconnection from the word when its not paper. Strange I know.

All that to say i am very new to type writers I literally bought one  Saturday november 12. Its an Olympia Deluxe SM9 and its in fabulous condition. I paid 50$ at an antique mall it looks very well taken care of or possibly restored it even had a relatively new ribbon in it. the case is in great shape as well.
its funny I had my heart set on a smith corona for Christmas. but I saw this little guy in the corner of my eye and i knew i was meant to take him home.

This is my first typewriter. 

Welcome, Raschelle! And I think you should know that if you have an SM9, you will have a hard time finding another machine that's as good. So unless you have a collecting urge, you've just saved yourself the trouble (and money) associated with trying a bunch of machines.

Agree with you about the words needing to be on paper.

22-11-2016 13:13:57  #550

Thanks Uwe. I have been learning things about the typewriters on this forum for a few months. I had not yet had time to answer.

I quickly post some pictures.

Board footera