You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-10-2016 23:11:33  #1

Hebrew / Yiddish Typewriters

I'm recovering the lost history of Yiddish typewriters and would like all pictures of pre-1960s Hebrew typewriters. Very few Yiddish typewriters are labeled correctly online, where people are simply listing them as "Hebrew typewriters." If you own a Hebrew typewriter pre-1960, please post it here so I can check. I've done a write-up here of the some 20 Yiddish typewriters that I've found online. I'm hoping to find more.

Why pre-1960? I'm fairly confident that any Hebrew typewriter post-1960 is actually a Hebrew typewriter. I've only seen one 1961 Everest K2 that was a Yiddish typewriter. 

30-10-2016 23:38:39  #2

Re: Hebrew / Yiddish Typewriters

I was going to point you to the thread on my Underwood "Semitic," but it looks like you've found it already. This is some great historical sleuthing! I was surprised to find Yiddish typewriters going all the way back to Yost. Thank you for the historical context! 

31-10-2016 07:11:46  #3

Thanks, Mark. I love those pictures of the Underwood Semitic. It's a beautiful machine.

31-10-2016 12:17:34  #4

Good luck with your project, Nick. Hopefully you'll be able to get more information from our forum members.

It would be interesting to read your thoughts on Mark's Underwood and the other comments posted in that thread (within that thread, of course). I had a quick look at your blog and will spend more time reading it later on (it looks good), but I didn't see any source credits for all those photos that you used; I can't speak for Mark, but a reciprocal link is typically the very least you can do when presenting photographs that you didn't ask permission to use.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-10-2016 12:37:41  #5

Interesting article indeed. Have you been in touch with the Yiddish Book Center at Hampshire College? http://www.yiddishbookcenter.org/ They might have a Yiddish typewriter -- certainly they'd be interested to know about your work.

31-10-2016 13:50:43  #6

Great. I'll add the links where I got the pictures. I'm heading out to the Yiddish Book Center in the spring for a conference. I'll be sure to look at their typewriters. They don't have much information online about them, but they use their Yiddish typewriters in their advertising. I think I saw they have an industrial-sized setup used for newspaper printing. I'll be asking them for the serial numbers when I'm there.

Question--for the typewriter images I'm finding online at Ebay and elsewhere, should I include them at the typewriter database if all I have is the image and can figure out the make/model and approximate year, but don't have the serial numbers?

31-10-2016 14:07:30  #7

I would just credit where you got the picture -- I wouldn't add to the database when all you have is a picture. Might add some incorrect information (and there's a fair amount on the database, to be sure -- hard to police what people post there).

04-11-2016 12:50:40  #8

Not sure if you've already looked at this one, but there's currently a Hebrew/Yiddish Remington on eBay.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-11-2016 14:08:01  #9

Oh yes, I actually told him it was a Yiddish typewriter and he corrected his listing. As always, it was listed as a "hebrew typewriter." Now if I can just tell him to correct his price...

04-11-2016 14:53:56  #10

You're right, that is a lot of money. Looks like a factory refurbished Remington 12 (?) based on the matte/crinkle paint job. I'm also interested to see the Tytell sticker on the front -- that was a company that did a lot of top-quality customizing of machines (such as changing the typeface). They might well have converted it to the Yiddish keyboard and reversed the carriage at the same time.

Board footera