You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-6-2016 06:10:14  #1

Imperial B Typeface removal

Hello typewriter friends!

I have a problem and need some assistance, the problem is that I don't really know how to remove the typeface on my Imperial B.

Is there anyone who knows how to do it properly so I don't damage a true beauty..

23-6-2016 15:43:02  #2

Re: Imperial B Typeface removal

What do you mean by "remove the typeface"? What problem do you have that that seems like a solution?

23-6-2016 16:45:22  #3

Do you perhaps have a type bar that has a slug loose on it, and you want to remove it to clean it before you re-solder?  Or do you mean to remove the type face "style", meaning an en masse change of all the type bars?  If you stay within the type size, all you'll need to change are the type bars, but if you, say, for instance, want to change an elite type machine to a pica type one, you've got your work cut out.  I changed a 1958 Underwood SX-150 "Golden Touch" from an elite to a pica, and not only did I have to change the type bars, I also had to change the entire margin mechanism, tabulator mechanism, escapement mechanism, backspace mechanism, and all the scales.  When it came out, it type fine, but it did't feel like the same typewriter somehow.  I eventually sold it.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

24-6-2016 05:35:12  #4

Hi,

I may be wrong, but I believe that you are asking how to remove the whole typeface basket.
The Imperial B and D make this any easy thing to do to allow whole changes of fonts e.t.c.
Have a look at this:  http://schrijfmachine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/imperial-portable-typewriter_12.html
I hope this is helpful.

Alan.

24-6-2016 07:26:53  #5

It wouldn't be an Imperial if it wasn't modular.  Too bad the quick-swap basket wasn't a feature carried over to its later portables. The standards on the other hand...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-11-2016 04:44:53  #6

Thanks guys for your answers! And specially to you Bassoonbloke, been working with the typewriter a while now so I did not even have time to answer to my own post! Thanks again! Here you have some pictures of the beauty I have been working on! 

08-11-2016 04:46:55  #7

Here you go!  

08-11-2016 05:59:11  #8

Hi Krilooo,

You're welcome !!
Nice typer there, such a wonderful design and great pictures.
Cheers,
Alan.

Board footera