You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-2-2014 13:19:20  #1

Can I take my old typewriter apart?

My typewriter is old and is covered in years of dust and gunk. I wondered if I should take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning. I'm just afraid that if I do I won't be able to put it back together properly. As it is now it is working with the exception of one key sticking.  Thoughts/advice?

'One's art goes as far and as deep as one's love goes.'

21-2-2014 16:20:36  #2

Re: Can I take my old typewriter apart?

As you seem to be new at this, why not get a can of compressed air (sold as a computer keyboard duster) from an office equipment suppliers and try to blow any dust out using that.  Try not to aim it directly at any springs in case you displace them.  You should be able to blast the dust out with very little dismantling.  If you want to lubricate the machine, use sewing machine oil NEVER WD-40 or similar silicone sprays which can be positively harmful to typewriters.  Let us all know how you get on !

21-2-2014 17:41:58  #3

I posted a guide to dunk cleaning a typewriter in the maintenance section if you feel like being more adventurous. If you're not mechanically inclined, I'd advise taking notes and photos during any disassembly so you won't forget how everything goes back together. Also, be sure to keep the little parts like small screws in a safe place so they won't get lost.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-2-2014 08:18:48  #4

Hi LO

Giving us the make, model and approximate period of manufacture will often help us decide the best advice for your machine. A sticky key is usually a result of accumulated dirt or dried out lubricating oil. The most common keys to stick are; Y, H, 7, N and V. Gravity tends to pull any lubricating oil to the bottom of the segment (quarter circle with slots) where it eventually dries and gums up the type bars in the lowest part of the segment. V usually sticks because it isn't used very often.

If your typewriter has an open bottom, place a wad of paper towel under the machine then get some brake cleaner or carburetor cleaner from your local NAPA, Auto-Zone or other similar store and very sparingly, sprits the sticky type bar just where the bar fits into the slot. There are two schools of thought as whether or not to oil the type bars in the segment. Because I keep all my machines either in their cases or covered up when not in use and have mechanical abilities, I oil. Those who keep their machines on display, tend not to oil as oil attracts dust and dirt to the moving parts causing more problems than it solves.

Hope this gives you something to work with and please feel free to ask more questions. We on this forum love typewriters and are more than willing to share our enthusiasm and knowledge with anyone else who would like to know more about a typewriter he or she owns or would like to own. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera