You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-1-2017 01:32:56  #1

The Automatic Type Cleaning Brush

Such a wealth of things to comment on in this piece of century old bunkum, but my favorite is the idea that you are giving your stenographer two weeks of vacation (from the cover). This vacation must be spent at her desk during the workday, does not shorten the workday, and instead of time that may have been spent relatively pleasantly as a break from typing pretending to clean the type for 30 minutes (!) must now be spent either in more make-work or in doing more typing - probably the last thing she wanted to do. 

"Mary, I've got wonderful news for you: I'm sending you on two weeks paid vacation! No, not to the Poconos - that vacation will be right here! You can take a vacation from doing those idle tasks that gave you time to chat with the other girls when you were not actually on break, and instead devote that to more typing! No, you don't have to thank me. Thinking of the pleasure it will give you to be able to do 30 minutes more productive work for me each of the six days in your 60 hour work week will be thanks enough for me. Now get back to work".

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

04-1-2017 09:11:14  #2

Re: The Automatic Type Cleaning Brush

One of the more interesting features of the Smith Premier.
Most of them today no longer have there cranks for the built in brush.

My blog - Just Typewriters

04-1-2017 17:18:39  #3

One of mine actually has the brush. It's very well made for a brush, even has a wooden handle.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

04-1-2017 17:19:19  #4

Oops, I meant the crank

Back from a long break.

04-1-2017 20:22:33  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

One of mine actually has the brush. It's very well made for a brush, even has a wooden handle.

Then you can confirm something for me: in the brochure, the way the tool is held there must be a pivot point built into the typewriter? This thing reminded me of an old-fashioned drill...

http://woodandshop.com/woodworking-hand-tool-buying-guide-hand-drills-braces-bits/

...which as near as I can determine is correctly called a "hand brace". When I was checking this I was surprised to find they are still being manufactured and sold!  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121687742040?

Pretty darn pricey, too - at $75 this seemed to be the middle of the price range, and not even a wooden handle. ;) They are so 19th century looking.

How well does it clean the type?

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

04-1-2017 21:21:26  #6

Yes,
There is a pivot point in the typewriter.
The crank has a special fitting on the bottom which engages with the brush mounted in the typewriter.

My blog - Just Typewriters

04-1-2017 21:44:04  #7

By the bye, the brace and bit has not, in fact, fallen into disuse completely; many woodworkers (myself included) still use them for boring holes and driving larger screws.  They have the advantage of being perpetually economical, use no electricity, and are virtually silent - I for one can't stand the scream of battery drills.

Sincerely,
beak.

04-1-2017 21:44:51  #8

Oh - and they produce shavings of wood - not dust.

Sincerely,
beak.

05-1-2017 06:06:00  #9

I don't know how well they clean type, mine hasn't needed to be cleaned yet.

Back from a long break.

05-1-2017 18:53:16  #10

I wonder if you could take one of those circular brushes and be able to adapt it to work on the more modern "visible writers" we all use and enjoy.  I'll let y'all know.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera