You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-1-2017 20:34:41  #1

10 'Mad Men' Era Office Staples That Don't Exist Anymore

Thought this might interest some of you... 

23-1-2017 21:05:06  #2

Re: 10 'Mad Men' Era Office Staples That Don't Exist Anymore

File cabinets and corded phones are extinct in offices? Whoever made this video is not very familiar with office work.

23-1-2017 22:22:13  #3

SoucekFan wrote:

File cabinets and corded phones are extinct in offices? Whoever made this video is not very familiar with office work.

Agreed. Not in any office I am familiar with - the phones work by packets now and not analog signals but they are still wired, and 30 years after the Xerox Parc research center imagined the paperless office paper continues to grow like Caltiki the Immortal Monster.  

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

24-1-2017 01:22:08  #4

Yeah, an odd video, we can assume made from someone who works out of his mother's basement and has a very limited world view. I would add booze/liquid lunches to the not-extinct category too, and probably smoking too depending on the country you live in.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-1-2017 06:19:03  #5

Mockingbird however writes from Japan and is owed thanks for sharing this, which at least is spot on about typewriters!  Maybe things are different in Japanese offices?

I love paper as it arises from platen of a typewriter I am using but do what I can to throttle it in the office. Even at home I wonder where typing only three pages a day and saving it will lead...  

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

01-2-2017 21:14:21  #6

I sure hope the fistfights are gone--for real!!  I remember a story about an editor who had it out with one of his newspaper reporters.  When they were through, he told everyone else that the first one to volunteer to drive the vanquished reporter, whom he told to get back to work, to the hospital, would be fired.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-2-2017 21:31:54  #7

In addition to phones being landlines, the ones with the rotary dials aren't much in use anymore.  I won't say they're ALL gone because someone may be using one somewhere.  It's just not all that common a sight I have seen in offices nowadays.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera