You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-1-2017 15:43:14  #1

FS: Free cord for Olivetti Praxis 48

Message me if you want it. 

Edwin

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

21-1-2017 16:36:12  #2

Re: FS: Free cord for Olivetti Praxis 48

I've had issues with a number of Olivetti power cables, and in the case of one machine had to hardwire it to the typewriter. Do you know the history of this cable? Just wondering if it was replaced because it was defective. With the  Praxis 48 I've found the male plug inside to be a weak link as it easily breaks from its mount and prevents a good connection to be made with the cable.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-1-2017 17:07:42  #3

Uwe, not sure about it's history. It came with a Praxis that was DOA. It did power on, though it didn't type. 

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

21-1-2017 19:16:37  #4

If that's the case, I'd strongly recommend keeping the cord with the machine. It might only require a simple repair to restore its operation and it would be a shame if whoever ends up with it next doesn't have the original power cable for the machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-1-2017 23:46:08  #5

Judging strictly from my own experience with Olivetti electrics, particularly the Praxis 48, whoever is next in line to get this one and can perform what could be called the "simple repair" would be a person to talk to us all indeed--if they could pull it off.  To me, they're worse than a Remington electric or a Smith-Corona 400 or 410 to repair.  At least those two would have a few keys that actually strike the platen.  Olivetti Praxis 48--it all goes down.  Again, me talking only--saying there's a simple repair on one of these little monsters is like saying Emperor Palpatine is only slightly ugly.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

28-1-2017 00:28:55  #6

Really? I must have been lucky then when I had to repair my Praxis 48... 

28-1-2017 17:24:01  #7

Now I know whom to ask questions of next time I get one of those little ankle biters.

29-1-2017 00:06:59  #8

typeset, since you're giving the cord away, what are you doing with the typewriter? If you're shelving it, i'll be willing to take it off your hands. would be a good project for me since i'm not familiar with electric repairs.

29-1-2017 00:16:47  #9

Olivetti Praxis 48, along with other Olivetti electrics, such as the Editor and the Lexikon 92C are different animals from most other electrics.  Fix one of those, and you've done something.  As I understand it, our Moderator has had some luck in fixing one.  Ask him.

05-10-2021 16:44:02  #10

@typeset Are you still trying to give away the power cable for praxis 48? I've been looking for one.

Board footera