You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-2-2017 22:36:14  #1

1939 Remington KMC basket shift issue

I just got this KMC off of Ebay and am already pleased with it and can't wait to really use it! I have cleaned it where it needs it, but the thing that I am having trouble with is the basket shift which does not want to return without help. I have looked at the mechanism for it but everything seems fine. I noticed that the shift works better when the machine is tilted back?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
OliverNo.9

04-2-2017 22:37:10  #2

Re: 1939 Remington KMC basket shift issue

04-2-2017 23:17:26  #3

Hmmmm,  Ah yes, this is one thing Remington is absolutely NOTORIOUS for--a sticking shift mechanism.  How is the cap/lowercase alignment?  If it is all right, I would bet that mainly the shifting mechanism would most likely be somewhat stiff from long time nonuse.  The best thing to do here is to clean around in the shifting some more and lightly oil the joints where it moves with a little transmission fluid, exercise the shifting, and do this again in a few hours, or when you want to get back to it again.  It needs time for the oil to soak into the metal (This has always worked for me--if it doesn't free up at once, it usually takes a little bit of time, and then things roll smoothly).  But if you still having trouble,  The shift toggle lever spring will need to be retensioned.  Pull this out of the shift toggle lever and the upper dowel holding it, pull up the next layer of spring, and chop off the top  with a strong pair of wire cutters.  Then fashion the new top to where it will hook into either the toggle lever (the mechanism on the bottom that ends in a little "paddle" looking part that goes from one padded stop to the other) or the top dowel.  This should do it.  You don't want this too tight, otherwise the shifting will be very difficult and uncomfortable to use.  Doing anything to the spring should be a last resort, as proper cleaning and oiling and exercising of this joint will almost always solve the problem--at least from my own personal experience--and I've run into this problem A LOT.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

04-2-2017 23:40:56  #4

TypewriterKing wrote:

Hmmmm, Ah yes, this is one thing Remington is absolutely NOTORIOUS for--a sticking shift mechanism. How is the cap/lowercase alignment? If it is all right, I would bet that mainly the shifting mechanism would most likely be somewhat stiff from long time nonuse. The best thing to do here is to clean around in the shifting some more and lightly oil the joints where it moves with a little transmission fluid, exercise the shifting, and do this again in a few hours, or when you want to get back to it again. It needs time for the oil to soak into the metal (This has always worked for me--if it doesn't free up at once, it usually takes a little bit of time, and then things roll smoothly). But if you still having trouble, The shift toggle lever spring will need to be retensioned. Pull this out of the shift toggle lever and the upper dowel holding it, pull up the next layer of spring, and chop off the top with a strong pair of wire cutters. Then fashion the new top to where it will hook into either the toggle lever (the mechanism on the bottom that ends in a little "paddle" looking part that goes from one padded stop to the other) or the top dowel. This should do it. You don't want this too tight, otherwise the shifting will be very difficult and uncomfortable to use. Doing anything to the spring should be a last resort, as proper cleaning and oiling and exercising of this joint will almost always solve the problem--at least from my own personal experience--and I've run into this problem A LOT.

TypwriterKing,
Thank you very much for your help and advice! I really appreciate it. I will give the things you mention a try in the morning.
Thanks again.
OliverNo.9.

04-2-2017 23:42:53  #5

Also, I forgot to mention that the cap/lowercase alignment was a little off when I got it, but I figured out how to adjust it and fixed it.

Thank you again for you help and advice. 

05-2-2017 15:47:59  #6

TypewriterKing,
I gave the advice you gave me a try and it helped. I did have to adjust the spring on the dowel, but now it works as it is supposed to.
Thank you again for your help.
OliverNo.9

Board footera