You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-3-2014 14:59:08  #51

Re: New Member Thread

Sorry, double post. 

Last edited by Joker4Eva (20-3-2014 15:00:15)

20-3-2014 16:36:51  #52

Welcome Thomas... don't be discouraged, many bugs can be easily fixed. I see you posted in the Repair section, which is a good place to start.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-3-2014 17:06:44  #53

Hi Uwe,
yup, do hope that those issues can be remedied. Have been trying to type sentences without using that particular "buggy" key as a way to test the typewriter out. Goes pretty well until I go round a corner, and "Oops!". 

23-3-2014 18:02:00  #54

Hello,

I'm in N.E. Texas now, and my first "keyboarding" class in Jr. High was on an old, and I mean old like a hand-me-down for about 20 years, Royal manual typewriter.

When I first used an electric, I'm sure like many here, one letter would run all of the way across the page!

I picked up a Royal Quiet De Luxe about a year or so ago, had it cleaned, and it works fine. Sadly, the guy that worked on it retired at the end of the year and there is no one in town that knows how to work on them or can repair them.

I want to keep it running good as my granddaughter was here a week ago and she found it in my office...she LOVED it!

Looks like I have found a forum that can help me do that.

23-3-2014 20:56:13  #55

Hello and welcome Simon...

Yes, that transition from manual machines to electric could be a startling one! I have a few Royal Quiet De Luxe models; it's a popular typer and I'm sure we can help you with any questions you might have. Do you know which year your machine was made? It's a model that spanned several decades and changed during that time.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-3-2014 06:55:39  #56

According to the serial number it was made in 1948.

27-3-2014 23:02:32  #57

Hi guys, I'm a pen and ink horror illustrator. I work in the horror presses and have decided to collect some of the classic typewriters used by the horror greats, H. P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Robert Bloch, etc...

I'm going to end up keeping at least one, a LC Smith Secretarial, but these are mainly for my horror writer friends and publishers.

28-3-2014 11:15:54  #58

That's a very cool job you have Uath. Welcome to TT! 

29-3-2014 03:12:42  #59

Hey there!!

I'm a 16 year old student from Sydney, Australia.  I am very fresh to the whole typewriting scene, in fact I knew nothing of it last monday!  It just so happened that there was a typewriter in the drama room at school, it's been there forever and I have been aware of it's existence for quite a few years, but always assumed it was broken.  It just sat there, gathering layers of dust and being bashed around by students, and ultimately being unused.  When I showed interest in it the other day my teacher offered it to me, saying she would rather I took it away, cleaned it up and used it than have it sit abandonded in the drama room.  I've always been slightly interested in typewriters but never had any exposure to them.  Sometime between my teacher offerring it to me and thursday, I found myself googling everything to do with typewriters, and now come Saturday I have the gorgoues Olivetti Lettera 32 sitting in the next room, cleaned of years worth of carpet lint and hair from what must be at least 3 different species of animal.  It even had a ribbon in it, though the spools don't match, and I have typed my first page!

I'm very excited to use my new found writing companion as soon as I practice a bit more, work out some kinks with the margin functionality, and finish my currently neglected schoolwork.  Growing up with laptops, I'm so glad that I have been given the opportunity to experience the art, passion and joy of typewriters that a keyboard can't quite replicate.  I can't believe how affordable they are, and look forward to getting a few more once I finish school.  Writing out my poems on ribbon ink rather than ink cartridges is much more satisfying, and letters will be much more fun!

I'm so happy to have happened upon this forum, it is quite hard to find good resources on typewriters when you're new and don't know where to look.  I am very happy to make all of your aquaintance and grateful for the information and advice you give.

(^_^)

29-3-2014 05:45:45  #60

Welcome! The 32 is my second-favorite typewriter. I have one, and I am rehabilitating another to give to one of my students. Writing on typewriters is a really cool experience. Working on a computer you don't need to know much about a sentence or line as you start ... You can sort of figure it out as you go. With a typewriter, you do most of the writing in your head.

Board footera