You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-1-2017 22:28:50  #1

Broken "loose dog" on a 1950s Rheinmetall KsT

Dear all,
I hope I can get some help here regarding a cosmetically beautiful Rheinmetall KsT. The carriage slides all the way to the left, and the escapement doesn't catch. Removing the carriage revealed that the loose dog is broken; the angled "tooth" of it is gone, so the star wheel turns freely. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding fabricating a new part or repairing this one? Or . . . does anybody have a parts machine? If not, I might have quite a few parts to sell from this one.
-Eric

01-2-2017 18:42:55  #2

Re: Broken "loose dog" on a 1950s Rheinmetall KsT

I'm afraid your only hope is to find a junker with the part on it, and then it could be a really tough part to install, unless it is fairly accessible. Not too many Rheinmettals make it down Texas way, so I couldn't tell you without a good look at it. Getting a new part machined, though possible, well, maybe it could be done, but to me it would seem awful tough finding a machine shop to do this kind of work.

Last edited by Uwe (01-2-2017 19:51:24)

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

05-2-2017 01:06:17  #3

I remain hopeful that someone can fabricate a piece out of hardened steel! If it works out, I will post again to the group. On the up side, no machines would be cannibalized in the process.

05-2-2017 17:12:47  #4

Oh, there is nothing wrong with the cannibalization of a machine.  In fact, most typewriter repairmen have done so more often than not--unless they had a new part available in a little baggie or box or something.  I've done that too.  I know that Rheinmetalls are probably exceedingly rare (I haven't seen one in these hy'ar parts of Texas), but if you find an old junker that's totally beyond repair, there would be no better use of it than to take the part you need out of it so the good one can continue giving good service.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

06-2-2017 14:38:36  #5

TypewriterKing wrote:

Oh, there is nothing wrong with the cannibalization of a machine. In fact, most typewriter repairmen have done so more often than not--unless they had a new part available in a little baggie or box or something. I've done that too.

I disagree. It was an understandable and more excusable practice when typewriters were still being manufactured and replacement parts could still be obtained - eventually, but I think that far too machines are being needlessly parted out now. Often this is because those performing the repair work don't know any better, or they're only interested in taking the easiest, least expensive route. Some people (especially on eBay) are parting out fully working machines because they've figured out that they are worth more in parts than as a whole machine. The technology that allows for custom part fabrication has been advancing in leaps and bounds, and most importantly, it's becoming more cost effective (for example, companies like these are popping up everywhere). How many typewriters will be lost in the future because of some simple part that could have easily been reproduced for a few bucks? And only because they took the advice to steal that part off another machine instead of possibly having a new one made?

TypewriterKing wrote:

I know that Rheinmetalls are probably exceedingly rare (I haven't seen one in these hy'ar parts of Texas),

Thinking that Rheinmetall typewriters are rare because you haven't seen one where you live is no different than a Bavarian farmer thinking that 1950s Smith-Corona portables are rare because he's never seen one of those either. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-2-2017 16:24:51  #6

I have a Rheinmetall - I love it.

Board footera