You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-3-2014 15:09:06  #1

Newbie Trying to Repair Olympia Typewriter

Hi all,
I just got my first typewriter today, and my enthusiasm was a little dampened by it's performance, and I was wondering if any of you can help. 
The first problem I'm encountering is with one of the typebars, the "F" bar. Although I can't tell, reading one of the guides online has told me that it is bent, as it is sometimes cannot return to it's lower position, being blocked by the "R" typebar. Furthermore, it is also blocked by the ribbon guide, and it cannot hit the ribbon. According to that guide, the only remedy is to "carefully bend it back". Any suggestions on how I should do that?
Another problem I'm experiencing with the typewriter is that one of the keys return very slowly to the lower position. I really am not sure how I should proceed with this issue, as this is my first typewriter and I have no idea on how I might be able to fix these complex things. 
By the way, the machine is an Olympia SM typewriter, a SM3, I suspect. (Anyone knows how I can pinpoint the exact model? I'm really lost when I'm at the Typewriter Database site. All I can glean from it is that my machine was made somewhere around 1957 and 1958.)
I'd appreciate it very much if someone could point me in the right direction on how I should fix it!

Thomas

20-3-2014 18:46:03  #2

Re: Newbie Trying to Repair Olympia Typewriter

Joker4Eva wrote:

The first problem I'm encountering is with one of the typebars, the "F" bar. Although I can't tell, reading one of the guides online has told me that it is bent, as it is sometimes cannot return to it's lower position, being blocked by the "R" typebar. Furthermore, it is also blocked by the ribbon guide, and it cannot hit the ribbon. According to that guide, the only remedy is to "carefully bend it back". Any suggestions on how I should do that?

Congratulations, Olympia made excellent typewriters (some of my favorites) and once you iron out the small problems you will be thrilled with its performance.

I would press on the F key just a little to raise the slug, and then lift it by hand gently to see where it wants to hit the type guide. There are special tools, a needle nose plier would work too, but I usually just make small adjustments by gently bending the typebar by hand. The idea is that you want the slug to aim for dead center of the guide.

Joker4Eva wrote:

Another problem I'm experiencing with the typewriter is that one of the keys return very slowly to the lower position.

Dirty typewriters, or even those that have just been sitting a long time, can have keys that are reluctant to move (and return to rest). Usually this problem can be traced to dirt or other contaminants in the type segement - those slots at the bottom of the type basket that the type arms pivot through. Do NOT oil this area. I use Varsol on a cotton swab to clean this area, but you can use other products too, anything that is meant to clean and degrease metal parts.

Joker4Eva wrote:

By the way, the machine is an Olympia SM typewriter, a SM3, I suspect. (Anyone knows how I can pinpoint the exact model? I'm really lost when I'm at the Typewriter Database site. All I can glean from it is that my machine was made somewhere around 1957 and 1958.)

The SM3 is one of the best portable typewriters ever made (in my opinion). The problems you're experiencing are very small and easily fixed, so don't worry, you'll have it typing perfectly really soon. 
To find its exact year of manufacture you need the serial number from the machine. It should be located on the underside of the typewriter, at the back, stamped on a metal crossbar.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-3-2014 11:32:20  #3

Hi Uwe,
thanks for the help you've been offering! Seems like this board's a little quiet, might be that everyone's too busy typing away with their typewriters!
The F key seems to want to hit one side of the ribbon guide. I've tried using my fingers to bend it a little inside of the guide, and now it falls nicely back into it's slot next to the R key, but it still refuses to hit the ribbon. I'm also a little hesitant at using my fingers, as I'm worried I might bend the whole bar in such a way that it's no longer positioned correctly.
I'll try to pinpoint the slot that's causing the slug-ish key. But seeing that I seldom use that key, it doesn't bug me as much as that F is doing.
By the way, may I know how strongly one should type while typing on a typewriter? I seem to be using a lot of force to type, and that normal strokes that I use on a keyboard sometimes just causes the typebar to move forward and back, without touching the ribbon. Must I use more force when typing?

21-3-2014 13:03:26  #4

Joker4Eva wrote:

this board's a little quiet, might be that everyone's too busy typing away with their typewriters!

Some days it's busier than others, but I think most that register here are a little shy. The forum has over 200 members now, but very few are as chatty as I am. 

Don't worry about damaging the type bar; if you bend it gently, and slowly, using one hand to bend it and the other to support it near the bottom, you'll be fine. Look at how the type bar rests with the others, it should be perfectly parallel. If it isn't then you need to bend the bar a little so that it is. If the bar is parallel, then the slug needs to be bent a little. Take your time, be patient, and make these adjustments in small steps and you'll get it perfect.

You shouldn't have to press too hard on the keys for the machine to type properly - otherwise it would be very fatiguing to type for a long time. It really sounds like your machine needs a cleaning and I would invest a little time in cleaning the segment area in particular as I previously described. If it's gummed up (dirty or contaminated in any way) it will make typing much harder than it needs to be; by cleaning your segment, not only will the keys return properly to their rest position, but it will be easier to type.

One other thing, your machine should have a touch sensitivity adjustment, which will alter the amount of pressure needed on the keys. You should check which position it is set to right now. I usually set it to the middle position and then get everything working properly. After, you can adjust the tension so that it's a little easier or harder to suit your preference.

Touch control location on SM3:

This machine couldn't even be used when I bought it because it had a filthy segement. I cleaned it - the rest of the machine still needs a thorough cleaning too - and now it types very well.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera